Design of Energy Efficient Voltage Multiplier Circuit for RF Energy Harvesting
This paper presents the design of a voltage multiplier circuit for RF energy harvesting at 2.4 GHz. The voltage multiplier circuit designed converts the RF energy signal into DC and hence can be used to provide power to electronic devices. A voltage tripler and voltage quadrupler circuit using Schottky diode have been designed and simulated on Multisim. Simulation results reveal that the proposed passive voltage tripler circuit uses an ac input signal of 4 Vrms to produce a DC output voltage of 14.481 V, whereas voltage quadrupler circuit produced an output voltage of 19.369 V. The proposed design is applicable for commercial frequency band of 2.4 GHz.
KeywordsRF energy harvesting Schottky diode Voltage tripler Voltage quadrupler
- 2.Ungan, T., Reindl, L. M.: Concept for harvesting low ambient RF-sources for microsystems. http://www.imtek.de/content/pdf/public/2007/powermems_2007_paper_ungan.pdf. Accessed 20 Mar 2010
- 3.Wang, J., Dong, L., Fu, Y.: Modeling of UHF voltage multiplier for radio-triggered wake-up circuit. Int. J. Circuit Theory Appl. (2010). doi: 10.1002/cta.692
- 4.Arrawatia, M., Baghini, M.S., Kumar, G.: RF energy harvesting system at 2.67 and 5.8 GHz. Proceedings of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, pp. 900–903 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Ali, E.M., Yahaya, N.Z., Perumal, N., Zakariya, M.A.: Design of RF to DC rectifier at GSM band for energy harvesting applications. J. Eng. Sci. Soc. 10(2), 15–22 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Ali, E.M., Yahaya, N.Z., Perumal, N., Zakariya, M.A.: Design and development of harvester RECTENNA at GSM band for battery charging applications. J. Eng. Appl. Sci. 10(21), 10206–10212 (2015)Google Scholar