Validation of an Inverter Topology for Transformerless Grid-Connected Photovoltaic System
Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems are getting more and more widespread due to the recent price reduction in modules and technological developments of power electronics devices to be used in designing power conditioning unit. Generally, a strong affinity in grid-connected PV inverter topology is to use transformer in the grid interface. However, due to transformer, systems become bulky and involve additional losses. The elimination of the transformer abolishes galvanic isolation between the PV system and the utility grid, thus treating from the danger of direct current (dc) injection into the grid. Therefore, the choice of a proper topology for transformerless grid-connected application is crucial to avoid undesirable operational effects. This paper provides a detailed performance study of an IGBT-based modified full-bridge inverter topology from the aspect of single-phase transformerless grid-connected PV system application. Detailed simulation results under different environmental conditions are presented to validate suitability in the transformerless grid-connected application.
KeywordsPhotovoltaic Grid-connected system Transformerless Ground leakage current
The work is supported by DietY under project grant no. 25(5)/2015-ESDA.
- 1.Myrzik, J.M.A., Calais, M.: String and module integrated inverters for single-phase grid connected photovoltaic systems—a review. In: IEEE Bologna Powertech Conference, Italy (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Datta, A., Bhattacharya, G., Mukherjee, D., Saha, H.: Ground leakage current elimination in a transformerless unipolar modulation based single phase grid-connected photovoltaic system. In: Hong Kong Proceedings. 5th IEEE PES Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Hu, S., Li, C., Li, W., He, X., Cao, F.: Enhanced HERIC based transformerless inverter with hybrid clamping cell for leakage current elimination. In: Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 5337–5341. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Calais, M., Agelidis, V.G.: Multilevel converters for single-phase grid connected photovoltaic systems—an overview. In: IEEE International Symposium (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Calais, M., Myrzik, J., Spoone, T., Agelidis, V.G.: Inverters for single-phase grid connected photovoltaic systems—an overview. In: IEEE PESC Record (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Anand, S., Gundlapalli, S.K., Fernandes, B.G.: Transformer-less grid feeding current source inverter for solar photovoltaic system. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 61, 5334–5344 (2014)Google Scholar