Energy Storage Considerations for High Renewable Power Penetration: A Case Study

Conference paper
Part of the Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering book series (LNEE, volume 435)

Abstract

A simple model for high penetration wind and solar for the MISO region of North America is used to study the effects of geographical diversity, source diversity, and over-generation on storage capacity requirements. Combining wind and solar generation over a wide geographical region significantly reduces the storage requirements. Further substantial reduction occurs using over-generation of wind and solar and allowing a modest energy deficit to be made up by dispatchable sources. Based on a simple model we found that for 95% of the load energy supplied by wind and solar (with the other 5% supplied by other dispatchable sources) with approximately 10% over-generation approximately 1 day of storage of the average load energy per year of storage is required for energy balance. A simple model to estimate total capital costs is minimized for approximately 15–20% over-generation.

Keywords

Solar energy Wind energy Grid storage 

References

  1. 1.
    Luo, X., Wang, J., Donner, M., Clarke, J.: Overview of current development in electrical energy storage technologies and the application potential in power system operation. Appl. Energy 137, 511–536 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Budischak, C., Sewell, D., Thomson, H., Mach, L., Veron, D.E., Kempton, W.: Cost-minimized combinations of wind power, solar power and electrochemical storage, powering the grid up to 99.9% of the time. J. Power Sour. 225, 60–74 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
    National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Wind Integration Data Sets. http://www.nrel.gov/grid/wind-integration-data.html
  5. 5.
    National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Solar Integration Data Sets. Available at http://www.nrel.gov/grid/solar-integration-data.html
  6. 6.
    Tarroja, B., Mueller, F., Eichman, J.D., Samuelsen, S.: Metrics for evaluating the impacts of intermittent renewable generation on utility load-balancing. Energy 42, 546–562 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    National Renewable Energy Laboratory: 2014 Renewable Energy Data Book. Available at http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/64720.pdf
  8. 8.
    Wood, D.L., Li, J., Daniel, C.: Prospects for reducing the processing cost of lithium ion batteries. J. Power Sour. 275, 234–242 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2018

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Department of Physics and AstronomyMacalester CollegeSt. PaulUSA

Personalised recommendations