Energy Efficient Routing Algorithm Using Software Defining Network for WSNs via Unequal Clustering
Clustering and multi-hop routing algorithms substantially prolong the lifetime of wireless sensor networks (WSNs). However, in multi-hop routing, the nodes near the sink are burdened with heavy relay traffic and tend to exhaust their energy very quickly. Thus, the energy hole arises. In this paper, we propose an SDN-based Unequal Clustering Routing (SDUCR) protocol for WSNs, which consists of a Centralized Unequal Clustering algorithm (CUCA) and a Connected Graph Based Minimum Energy Consumption (CGMEC) multi-hop routing algorithm. We use the centralized intelligence of Software Defined Network (SDN) to implement clustering and routing. Our CUCA is used to partition the network into clusters of unequal size based on residual energy and degree of sensor nodes. The CGMEC algorithm constructs a routing tree among cluster heads which ensures the connectivity among nodes and balances the communication cost of all nodes. Simulation results show that our SDUCR protocol balances the energy consumption among sensor nodes and achieves an obvious improvement on the network lifetime.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Energy hole problem Software Defined Network Unequal Clustering Multi-hop routing Routing algorithm
This research is sponsored by the State Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China No. 61533011, Shandong Provincial Natural Science Foundation under Grant No. ZR2015FM001, the Fundamental Research Funds of Shandong University No. 2015JC030.
- 3.Singh, S.K., Singh, M.P., Singh, D.K.: A survey of energy-efficient hierarchical cluster-based routing in wireless sensor networks. Int. J. Adv. Netw. Appl. (IJANA) 2(2), 570–580 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Galluccio, L., Milardo, S., Morabito, G., Palazzo, S.: SDN-WISE: design, prototyping and experimentation of a stateful SDN solution for wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE Infocom 2015, April 2015Google Scholar
- 5.Costanzo, S., Galluccio, L., Morabito, G., Palazzo, S.: Software defined wireless networks: unbridling SDNs. In: 2012 European Workshop on Software Defined Networking (EWSDN). IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, C.F., Chen, G.H., Ye, M., Wu, J.: An energy-efficient unequal clustering mechanism for wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems Conference, Washington, D.C., pp. 598–604 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, R., Ju, L., Jia, Z., Li, X.: Energy efficient routing algorithm for WSNs via unequal clustering. In: High Performance Computing and Communication, pp. 1226–1231 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Zheng, L., Jia, Z., Zhang, R., et al.: Context-aware routing algorithm for WSNs based on unequal clustering. In: 2013 12th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), pp. 1307–1314. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Jia, F.-l., Li, F., Zhang, R.-h.: RSSI localization based on core in WSN. Comput. Eng. Appl. 44(30), 118–120 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Cionca, V., Newe, T., Dadarlat, V.: TDMA protocol requirements for wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Second International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, pp. 30–35, August 2008Google Scholar