Energy Efficient Data Gathering in Wireless Sensor Networks Using Rough Fuzzy C-Means and ACO
Data gathering from inhospitable terrains such as volcanic area, dense forest, sea bed are a major application area of wireless sensor network (WSN). The replacements of sensor node batteries are not feasible and as a result all the protocols in WSN should be energy efficient to elongate network lifetime. In hierarchical routing protocol (HRP) nodes are assigned different tasks of varying energy intensity as per their role which are interchanged across rounds. It leads to load balancing and energy preservation. We propose in this paper an energy efficient load balanced data gathering method based on rough fuzzy c-means (RFCM) and ant colony optimization (ACO) and coin it as RFCM-ACO. The deployed are partitioned into clusters by RFCM followed by ACO-based lower and upper chain formation. The chain leader (CL) for lower chain and super leader (SL) for upper chain are elected using a fuzzy inference system (FIS). Simulation results indicate that RFCM-ACO outperforms LEACH, PEGASIS and Hybrid_FCM in terms of network lifetime and load balance.
KeywordsClustering Energy efficiency Load balance RFCM Network lifetime ACO
The authors would like to thank Prof. Utpal Biswas, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Kalyani for his valuable suggestions. The authors would further like to thank the members of the Biomedical Imaging and Bioinformatics Lab (BIBL), Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata for their support.
- 4.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.: Data gathering algorithm in sensor networks using energy metrics. IEEE Trans. Parallel Distrib. Syst. 13(9), 924–935 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Dorigo, M., Sttuzle, T.: Ant Colony Optimization. MIT Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Hadjila, M., Guyennet, H., Feham, M.: A Hybrid Cluster and Chain Based Routing Protocol for Lifetime Improvement in WSN. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 8458. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Lam, Q.T., Hrong, M.F.: A High Energy Efficiency Approach Based on Fuzzy Clustering Topology for Long Lifetime in Wireless Sensor Network. Advanced Methods for Computational Collective Intelligence, SCI 457, pp. 367–376. Springer, Berlin (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, J.: Improving life time of wireless sensor networks by using fuzzy c-means induced clustering. In: IEEE World Automation Congress (WAC), pp. 1–4 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Chourasia, M.K., Panchal, M., Shrivastav, A.: Energy efficient protocol for mobile wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communication Control and Intelligent Systems (CCIS), pp. 79–84. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Sharma, T., Kumar, B.: F-MCHEL: fuzzy based master cluster head election leach protocol in wireless sensor network. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Technol. 3(10), 8–13 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.He, S., Dai, Y.: A clustering routing protocol for energy balance of WSN based on genetic clustering algorithm. Proc. Comput. Sci. IERI 2, 788–793 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Alia, O.M.: A Decentralized Fuzzy C-Means-Based Energy-Efficient Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks, pp. 647281–647290. The Scientific World Journal, Hindawi Publishing Corporation (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Kamal, M., Shawkat, S.A.: Two stage fuzzy logic based clustering approach wireless sensor network LEACH protocol. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, pp. 154–159. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Julie, E.G., Selvi, S.T.: Development of Energy Efficient Clustering Protocol in Wireless Sensor Network Using Neuro-Fuzzy Approach, p. 5063261. The Scientific World Journal, Hindwai Publishing Corporation. (2016)Google Scholar
- 20.Alami, H.E., Najid, A.: Energy efficient fuzzy logic cluster head selection in wireless senso networks. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology for Organizations Development, pp. 1–7. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar