Gray to Binary Code Converter Using Ti-Indiffused Lithium Niobate Based Mach-Zehnder Interferometer
In this paper, we propose a 3-bit gray to binary code converter using Ti-indiffused Lithium Niobate based on Mach-Zehnder Interferometer (MZI) waveguiding structure. All optical XOR logic gate is the basic building block for this code converter. At the output port, we get binary output in form of optical signal and also their complements which can be used in further computations and reduce the required hardware. The proposed device offers high switching speed and tolerable losses. The extinction ratio achieved is around 20 dB. The proposed combinational circuit can be useful in optical logic devices.
The authors are grateful to India–Ukraine inter-governmental science & technology cooperation programme between the MNIT Jaipur (India) and the Lviv National Polytechnique Institute, Lviv (Ukraine) for technical support. Project sanction no: INT/RUS/UKR/P-15/2015.
- 1.Mehra, Rekha, Shikha Jaiswal, and Hemant Kumar Dixit. “Ultrafast all-optical 4-bit digital encoders using differential phase modulation in semiconductor optical amplifier-Mach-Zehnder interferometer configuration.” Optical Engineering 52.3 (2013): 035202–035202.Google Scholar
- 2.Chattopadhyay, Tanay, and Tamal Sarkar. “All-optical switching by Kerr nonlinear prism and its application to of binary-to-gray-to-binary code conversion.” Optics & Laser Technology 44.6 (2012): 1722–1728.Google Scholar
- 3.Gayen, Dilip Kumar, et al. “All-optical binary to Gray code and Gray to binary code conversion scheme with the help of semiconductor optical amplifier-assisted Sagnac switch.” IET circuits, devices & systems 5.2 (2011): 123–131.Google Scholar
- 4.Birnie III, D. P. “Analysis of diffusion in lithium niobate.” Journal of materials science 28.2 (1993): 302–315.Google Scholar
- 5.Kumar, Ajay, Santosh Kumar, and Sanjeev Kumar Raghuwanshi. “Implementation of XOR/XNOR and AND logic gates by using Mach–Zehnder interferometers.” Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics 125.19 (2014): 5764–5767.Google Scholar
- 6.Singh, G., V. Janyani, and R. P. Yadav. “Modeling of a 2 × 2 electro-optic Mach-Zehnder Interferometer optical switch with s-bend arms.” Photonics Letters of Poland 3.3 (2011): pp-119.Google Scholar
- 7.Singh, Ghanshyam, Vijay Janyani, and R. P. Yadav. “Modeling of a high performance Mach-Zehnder interferometer all optical switch.” Opt. Appl 42.3 (2012): 613–625.Google Scholar