Reflections on and Practices of Peking University Fulfilling Social Responsibility
This paper attempts to explain the meaning and connotation of Social Responsibility of Chinese Universities from the functional perspectives of university education, scientific research, social service and cultural inheritance. It presents a combination of three different ways through which a university can achieve social responsibility in modern times, in order to present information regarding Peking University’s performance of social duties. Examples used include the cultivation of students’ sense of social responsibility, localized poverty alleviation in Midu County in Yunnan Province, and advancing cooperation between school and enterprise.
KeywordsChinese students Implementation model Peking University University education University social responsibility (USR)
- Bok, D. (2001). Beyond the ivory tower: Social responsibilities of the modern university. (Trans. into Chinese Xu Xiaozhou et al.)Google Scholar
- Jiang, S. (2013). Modern university social responsibility and reflections on Chinese university development. University Academic, 9, 20–27.Google Scholar
- Kang, L. (2012). On principle and achievement model of university social responsibility. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian.Google Scholar
- Kang, L. (2014). On the achievement approaches of social responsibility of modern university. China Higher Education Research, 8, 25–28.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Science and Technology. (2006). Outline of the national medium- and long-term science and development program. Available at: http://www.most.gov.cn/mostinfo/xinxifenlei/gjkjgh/200811/t20081129_65774.htm (in Chinese).
- Peking University. (2015, April 28). News. Peking University. Retrieved from http://pkunews.pku.edu.cn/2015zt/2015-04/28/content_288465.htm.
- Qu, M. (2014). Investigation into Derek Bok’s ideas of social responsibilities of a university. Tsinghua Journal of Education, 2, 44–54.Google Scholar
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University. (2016, January 29). 2015 Annual Social Responsibility Report. Shanghai Education News. Retrieved from http://www.shedunews.com/shzrbg2015/shzrbg2015_gaoxiao/2016/01/29/2042202.html.
- Xia, Y. (2013). Study on the path of social responsibility sense education of college students based on systematic way of thinking. China Youth Study, 11, 77–80.Google Scholar
- Yu, X., & Zhang, X. (2011). A brief review of the researches on social responsibilities of universities in China during the past 15 years. Higher Education of Science, 1, 149–155.Google Scholar
- Zhang, W. (2015b). Exploring the concept of university social responsibility. Modern Education Science: Higher Education Research Edition, 1, 1–9.Google Scholar
- Zhou, H. (2014). Historical changes, international experience and the case in China: Social responsibility of university education. China Journal of Beijing Normal University (Social Science Edition), 1, 12–17.Google Scholar
- Zuo, J. (2015). Improve social services capability and create world-class universities—Peking University’s practice experience. China Leadership Science, 1, 50–53.Google Scholar