Slot-Loaded Microstrip Antenna: A Possible Solution for Wide Banding and Attaining Low Cross-Polarization
- 317 Downloads
A simple and single element slot-loaded rectangular microstrip antenna has been proposed for broad impedance bandwidth and improved cross-polarized (XP) radiation compared to maximum copolarized (CP) gain without affecting the copolarized radiation pattern. Around 19 dB isolation between CP and XP along with 22% impedance bandwidth is achieved with the proposed structure. The present investigation provides an understanding of simultaneous improvement in impedance bandwidth and the XP radiation characteristics with the present structure.
KeywordsBandwidth Cross-polarization Patch reactance Slot-loaded microstrip antenna
The authors would like to thank Prof. D. Guha of Institute of Radio Physics and Electronics and Prof. B.N. Basu of Sir J. C. Bose School of Engineering, Mankundu, India, for their support.
Subhradeep Chakraborty and Sanjay Kumar Ghosh thank director, CSIR-CEERI, Pilani, for his permission to publish this work.
- 1.Garg, R., Bhartia, P., Bahl I., and Ittipiboon A.: Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, USA, (2001).Google Scholar
- 2.Guha, D., Antar, Y. M. M. (Eds).: Microstrip and Printed Antennas-New Trends, Techniques and Applications, John Wiley, U.K, (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.Loffler, D., Wiesbeck, W.: Low-cost X-polarised broadband PCS antenna with low cross-polarisation. Electronics Letters, 35, 1689–1691, (1999).Google Scholar
- 4.Granholm, J., Woelders, Kim.: Dual Polarization Stacked Microstrip Patch Antenna Array With Very Low Cross-Polarization. IEEE Transactions on Antennas And Propagation, 49, 1393–1402, (2001).Google Scholar
- 5.Ghosh, A., Ghosh, D., Chattopadhyay, S., Singh, L. L. K.: Rectangular Microstrip Antenna on Slot Type Defected Ground for Reduced Cross Polarized Radiation. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 14, 324–328, (2015).Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, C., Guha, D.: DGS integrated Rectangular microstrip patch for improved polarization purity with wide impedance bandwidth. IET Micro. Ant. & Prop., 8, 589–596, (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.Ghosh, D. Ghosh, S. K., Chattopadhyay, S., Nandi, S., Chakraborty, D., Anand, R., Raj, R., Ghosh, A.: Physical and Quantitative Analysis of Compact Rectangular Microstrip Antenna with Shorted Non-Radiating Edges for Reduced Cross-Polarized Radiation Using Modified Cavity Model. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 56, 61–72, (2014).Google Scholar
- 8.Poddar, R., Chakraborty, S. and Chattopadhyay, S.: Improved Cross Polarization and Broad Impedance Bandwidth from Simple Single Element Shorted Rectangular Microstrip Patch: Theory and Experiment, Frequenz, 70, 1–9, (2016).Google Scholar
- 9.Balanis, C.A.: Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, USA, (2001).Google Scholar
- 10.Chattopadhyay, S. et. al.: Input Impedance of Probe fed Rectangular Microstrip Antenna with Air gap and Aspect Ratio. IET Micro. Ant. & Prop., 3, 1151–1156, (2009).Google Scholar
- 11.HFSS, “High Frequency Structure Simulator, Version 14,” Ansoft Corp.Google Scholar