Design and Performance Comparison of CNTFET-Based Binary and Ternary Logic Inverter and Decoder With 32 nm CMOS Technology
This paper attempts to compare ternary and binary logic gate design using CMOS and carbon nanotube (CNT)-FETs technology. Ternary logic is an effective approach over the default binary logic design technique because it allows to define one more voltage level which is VDD/2 and it also allows a circuit to be simple in design and energy efficient due to its property of reduction in circuit overhead such as interconnects and chip area. A CMOS and CNTFET-based ternary logic gates and arithmetic circuit design has been proposed to implement and compare binary and ternary logic design based on CMOS and CNTFET. The main objective is to compare the CMOS and CNTFET results and verify the advantages of CNTFET technology. The proposed CNTFET technique combined with ternary logic provides an usable performance, improved speed and reduces propagation delay characteristics in circuit such as inverter and decoder. Simulation results of proposed designs using H-SPICE are observed and shown that the proposed ternary logic gates consume significant less delay than the CMOS gates implementations. In realistic digital application, the proposed design of ternary logic compared with binary logic results in over 95% reductions in terms of the consumption of propagation delay.
KeywordsCNT-FET Ternary Inverter Decoder Propagation delay time
- 1.S. Kang and Y. Leblebici (2003), CMOS Digital Integrated Circuits - Analysis and Design, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- 2.Wanjari, Ms Nilmani P., and Ms Shweta P. Hajare. “VLSI Design and Implementation of Ternary Logic Gates and Ternary SRAM Cell.”Google Scholar
- 3.Anand, Aparna, and S. R. P. Sinha. “Performance Evaluation of Logic Gates Based On Carbon Nanotube Field Effect Transistor.” International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE) ISSN: 2277 3878 (2013).Google Scholar
- 4.Moaiyeri, Mohammad Hossein, et al. “Efficient CNTFET-based ternary full adder cells for nanoelectronics.” Nano-Micro Letters 3.1.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Rabaey, A. Chandrakasan, B. Nikolic, “Digital Integrated Circuits,” Pearson Education International, New Jersey, 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Radha Tapiawala, Rahul Kashyap “Design of Universal Logic Gates based on CNTFET for Binary and Ternary Logic.” International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) Vol. 3 Issue 6, June – 2014.Google Scholar
- 7.Doostaregan, Akbar, et al. “On the design of new low-power CMOS standard ternary logic gates.” Computer Architecture and Digital Systems (CADS), 2010 15th CSI International Symposium on. IEEE, 2010.Google Scholar
- 8.Ghorbani, Ali, and Ghazaleh Ghorbani. “Energy Efficient Full Adder Cell Design With Using Carbon Nanotube Field Effect Transistors In 32 Nanometer Technology.” arXiv preprint arXiv:1411.2088 (2014).
- 9.Kim, Yong-Bin. “Integrated circuit design based on carbon nanotube field effect transistor.” Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Materials 12.5 (2011): 175–18Google Scholar