Learning Aid in Braille and Typography
This paper aims to study the existing braille script, highlight their inadequacies in teaching methods for small children and suggest probable solutions. The project focuses mainly on the use of braille and typography together using the existing braille script. In addition, this study is carrying its importance towards the beneficial development for visually impaired children in our society. Thus providing an educational aid. The main idea behind this project is to derive a piece of hardware to use to teach the visually challenged children for future.
KeywordsEducational aid Braille and typography Base material Readability Book for learning basic alphabets Research project
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Prof. Santosh Kshirsagar from Sir J.J Institute of Applied Art, India, Prof. Samip Sawant, Dr. Sushil V Shirsekar,
Faculties from Smt Kamla Mehta School for the Blind, India- Mrs. Uma Mumbaikar, Mrs. Kunda Ajgaonkar and Mrs. MadhaviGawde.
- 1.Stevens, S.S.: Proceedings of the speech communication—a definition of communication. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. (1950)Google Scholar
- 2.Future Reflections. https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr5/issue1/f050113.html (1986)
- 3.Tufte, E.R., Graves-Morris, P.R.: The visual display of quantitative information. Graphic Press, Cheshire, Connecticut http://www.humanities.ufl.edu/pdf/tufte-aesthetics_and_technique.pdf (1983)
- 4.Cooper, H.L. Ph.D.: A brief history of tactile writing systems for readers with blindness and visual impairments. https://www.tsbvi.edu/seehear/spring06/history.htm (2006)
- 5.Springer Berlin, Heidelberg. http://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-540-29678-2_713 (2009)
- 6.National Braille Press, Boston. http://www.blindamericans.org/braille.htm (2000)
- 7.Day, J.N., Mcdonnell, A.P., O’Neill, R.: Teaching beginning braille reading using an alphabet or uncontracted braille approach. https://static-content.springer.com/lookinside/art%3A10.1007%2Fs10864-008-9067-0/000.png (2008)
- 8.Using Tactile symbols to enhance communication. Directed by tsbvi (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Marburg, L.: Braille-dimensions. http://www.blista.de/download/druckerei/braille-dimensions.pdf (n.d)
- 10.Newman, S.E., Kindsvater, M.B., Hall, A.D.: Braille learning: effects of symbol size. Bull. Psychon. Soc. 3(23). http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03329822 (1985)
- 11.Louis-braille-brought-light-into-darkness. http://fractalenlightenment.com/866/life/louis-braille-brought-light-into-darkness (2016)