A Regularized Finite Volume Numerical Method for the Extended Porous Medium Equation Relevant to Moisture Dynamics with Evaporation in Non-woven Fibrous Sheets
- 307 Downloads
The extended porous medium equation (PME) is a degenerate nonlinear diffusion equation that effectively describes moisture dynamics with evaporation in non-woven fibrous sheets. We propose a new finite volume numerical model of the extended PME incorporating regularization of nonlinear degenerate terms, and apply it to test cases for verification of accuracy, stability, and versatility. One of the test cases considered is a new exact steady solution of the extended PME. We also examine a differential equation-based adaptive re-meshing technique for resolving sharp transitions of solution profiles that may be optionally incorporated into the procedure above. The computational results demonstrate satisfactory accuracy of the proposed numerical model, with reasonable reproduction of complicated moisture dynamics involving sharp transitions and divorce of supports.
KeywordsMoisture dynamics Evaporation Non-woven fibrous sheet Extended porous medium equation Dual-finite volume method
We thank Dr. Ichiro Kita and Dr. Kotaro Fukada in Faculty of Life and Environmental Science, Shimane University, Japan for providing helpful comments and suggestions on this article.
- 1.Yoshioka, H., Ito, Y., Kita, I., Fukada, K.: A stable finite volume method for extended porous medium equations and its application to identifying physical properties of a thin non-woven fibrous sheet. In: Proceedings of JSST2015, pp. 398–401 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Brooks, R.H., Corey, A.T.: Hydraulic properties of porous media. Colorado State University, Hydrology Papers, Fort Collins, Colorado (1964)Google Scholar
- 10.Yoshioka, H.: On dual-finite volume methods for extended porous medium equations, arXiv preprint. arXiv:1507.05281 (2015)
- 13.Huang, W., Russel, R.D.: Adaptive Moving Mesh Methods, pp. 27–133. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Yoshioka, H., Unami, K., Fujihara, M.: A Petrov-Galerkin finite element scheme for 1-D tome-independent Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equations. J. JSCE. Ser. A2, 71 (in press)Google Scholar
- 15.Yaegashi, Y., Yoshioka, H., Unami, K., Fujihara, M.: An adaptive finite volume scheme for Kolmogorov’s forward equations in 1-D unbounded domains. J. JSCE. Ser. A2, 71 (in press)Google Scholar
- 23.Tomoeda, K.: Numerical and mathematical approach to support splitting and merging phenomena in the behaviour of non-stationary seepage. Theor. Appl. Mech. Jpn. 63, 15–23 (2015)Google Scholar
- 28.Naldi, G., Cavalli, F., Perugia, I.: Discontinuous Galerkin approximation of porous Fisher-Kolmogorov equations. Commun. Appl. Indust. Math. 4 (2013). doi: 10.1685/journal.caim.446