- 336 Downloads
This chapter will provide an overview of epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). A detailed description of the HIV lifecycle and identification of targets for antiretroviral therapy are also given.
KeywordsHuman Immunodeficiency Virus Acquire Immune Deficiency Syndrome Male Circumcision Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission Human Immunodeficiency Virus Protein
- 5.U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Global Statistics. 2015. Available at https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/global-statistics/. Accessed 18 June 2016
- 6.AIDSinfo. HIV overview: the HIV lifecycle. Updated Sep 22, 2015. Available from: https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/education-materials/fact-sheets/19/73/the-hiv-life-cycle# . Accessed 14 June 2016.
- 8.Broeckaert L, Challacombe L. Rapid point-of-care HIV testing: a review of the evidence. Prevention in Focus 2015. Available from: http://www.catie.ca/en/pif/spring-2015/rapid-point-care-hiv-testing-review-evidence. Accessed 19 June 2016
- 9.Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents. Guidelines for the use of antiretroviral agents in HIV-1 infected adults and adolescents. Department of Health and Human Services. 2016. Available at http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/ContentFiles/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf. Accessed 15 June 2016
- 10.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Association of Public Health Laboratories. Laboratory testing for the diagnosis of HIV infection: updated recommendations. Published June 27, 2014. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10/15620/cdc.23447. Accessed 14 June 2016