Free of Charge
Free of Charge is a participatory artwork that was first presented at the Splore Music Festival in New Zealand in 2012. It is staged as a mock airport security check procedure that is modified to measure visitors’ static electrical charge. Participants pass through the security checkpoint and are measured for charge before being electrically grounded and discharged. The artwork and its site are described in detail and the rationale for the work developed. It is discussed in relation to the post-9/11 security apparatus and the concept of security theatre, and this is contrasted with aspects of the work that deal with health and wellness around static electricity. Through these lenses, response to authority and the internalisation and subversion of roles are examined.
- Aronson, C. (2013). Love to queue (not). Retrieved October 2, 2014 from http://www.lettingspace.org.nz/free-of-charge-essay/.
- Bowker, G. C., & Star, S. L. (1999). Sorting things out: Classification and its consequences. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Foucault, M. (2004). The crisis of medicine or the crisis of antimedicine. Foucault studies, No. 1 (pp. 5–19). http://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/foucault-studies/article/view/562/607.
- Haney, C., Banks, C., & Zimbardo, P. (1973). Interpersonal dynamics in a simulated prison. International Journal of Criminology & Penology, 1(1), 69–97.Google Scholar
- Health Physics Society et al. (2004). Public protection from nuclear, chemical, and biological terrorism: health physics society 2004. summer school, Madison, Wis: Medical Physics Publishing.Google Scholar
- ICAO. (2014). Doc 10022. Assembly resolutions in force (2013). Montreal: International Civil Aviation Organisation. Retrieved February 26, 2014 from http://www.icao.int/publications/Documents/10022_en.pdf.
- Letting space. (2013). Free of Charge. Retrieved May 17, 2013 from http://www.lettingspace.org.nz/free-of-charge/.
- Ober, C., Sinatra, S.T. & Zucker, M. (2010). Earthing: The most important health discovery ever? Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.Google Scholar
- Priest, J. (2014). Free of Charge. Retrieved February 26, 2014 from http://julianpriest.org/project/free-of-charge/.
- Schneier, B. (2003). Beyond fear: Thinking sensibly about security in an uncertain world. Springer.Google Scholar
- Splore. (2011). Splore—outdoor summer music and arts festival: Information. Retrieved November 13, 2011 from http://www.splore.net/#/information/getting.
- Tiber, E. (1989). How woodstock happened. Times Herald Record. Retrieved February 12, 2014 from http://www.woodstockstory.com/how-woodstock-happened-1.html.
- Zimbardo, P. G. (2014). The stanford prison experiment: A simulation study of the psychology of imprisonment. Retrieved February 21, 2014 from http://www.prisonexp.org/psychology/42.