The Effect of GNSS Sites Distribution on TEC Derivation
With worldwide increased Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receivers, it is possible to obtain the ionospheric total electron content (TEC) and hence monitor the ionosphere with GNSS. Using a thin layer assumption of the ionosphere and dual-frequency Global Positioning System (GPS) observations from 16 geomagnetically quiet days in four seasons of 2006, this paper adopts the spherical harmonic model to fit TEC and investigates the effects of two network constitutions on global TEC derivation, one with 275 GPS receivers and the other with 125 GPS receivers. The results show that the data can be well fitted for both network constitutions. The derived TECs are consistent with each other for four seasons. This is especially true for TECs at low- and mid-latitude. The derived satellite and receiver biases are stable during the year. The standard deviation of the satellite and the receiver biases are less than 0.5 and 3 ns, respectively.
KeywordsGPS TEC Sites distribution Spherical harmonic model
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11473045, 11403045).
- 5.Iijima B, Harris I, Ho C, Lindqwister U, Mannucci A, Pi X, Reyes M, Sparks L, Wilson B (1999) Automated daily process for global ionospheric total electron content maps and satellite ocean altimeter ionospheric calibration based on global positioning system data. J Atmos Sol Terr Phys 61(16):1205–1218CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Gao W, Ma G, Chen Y, Shen H, Li J, Huang W, Li Z (2008) Derivation of GPS-TEC and instrumentao biases in the equatorial anomaly region. Chin J Space Sci 28(6):541–546Google Scholar
- 11.Kaplan ED, Hegarty CJ (2006) Understanding GPS: principles and applications. Artech House Publishers, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 12.Liu J, Chen J, Zhang Y, Li S, Ge M (1999) WADGPS principle and method. Surveying and mapping Press, WuhanGoogle Scholar
- 13.http://gpspp.sakura.ne.jp/, Cited 20 Mar 2015
- 14.Zhang X (2004) Matrix analysis and applications. Tsinghua University Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar