Financing Risk Analysis and Case Study of Public-Private Partnerships Infrastructure Project
This paper focused on establishing a financing risk assessment model and choosing two projects as case studies. Firstly, on the basis of reviewing the relevant studies, this paper identified six financing risk levels by employing the method of content analysis, these were political risks, social risks, financial risks, construction risks and operational risks. And the six risk levels contained seventeen risk factors including government stability, government guarantees, government credit and nationalization etc. Consequently, the article designed an analytic hierarchy structure of PPPs financing risks. By combining project marking sheets with the computed weights of seventeen risk factors, the authors built a financing risk accessing model. After that, an empirical contrast study between Beijing Subway Line 4 and Indian Dabhol Power project was taken. Finally, the paper put forward some suggestions useful to the successful implementation of PPPs projects.
KeywordsPublic-private partnerships Financing risk identification Financing risk evaluation Analytic hierarchy process Case study
The authors’ special thanks go to all and reviewers of the paper, and to the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC-71001027, 71472037), Social Foundation of Jiangsu Province, China (13GLB005), Program for Outstanding Young Teachers of Southeast University (2242015R30009), and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities for financially supporting this research.
- 2.Yuan J, Li Q, Deng X, Li X (2009) A research on drivers in the development of PPP model in China from the perspective of public sector. Constr Econ 1:85–89Google Scholar
- 5.Li B, Akintoye A, Hardcastle C (2005) The allocation of risk in PPP/PFl Construction Projects in the UK. Int J Project Manage 23(l):25–35Google Scholar
- 6.Ng A, Martin L (2007) Risk allocation in the Private Provision of public infrastructure. Int J Project Manage 25(l):66–76Google Scholar
- 9.Qi X, Ke Y, Wang S (2009) Analysis on critical risk factor causing the failures of China’s PPP projects. China Soft Sci 5:107–113Google Scholar
- 11.Jian He (2008) Research on evaluation model of hydroelectric project financing risk based on dynamic multi-level fuzzy evaluation. Guangxi Water Resour Hydropower Eng 2:29–32Google Scholar
- 14.Gong L, Ai P, Liu W (2006) Research on the assessment method of infrastructure project financing risks. Contemp Manager 21:1422–1423Google Scholar
- 16.Shen J, Wang S (2011) The evaluation of TOT project financing risk based on BP neural networks. Project Manage Technol 9(11)Google Scholar
- 17.Xie J, Nu Y (2013) The application of PPP model in Beijing Subway Line 2. Financ Acc 4:16–19Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang H (2002) Beware of project financing risk: analysis the failure of Indian Dabhol Power Project. Case Anal 1:20–28Google Scholar