- 523 Downloads
I have two contradictory reasons for being so happy to have the opportunity to write this summation of the evolution of my thoughts on education and compulsory schooling (two very distinct things) to this point in my life. The first is tied to a conversation that I had with my friend, Professor Madhu Suri Prakash one afternoon in the fall of 1984 during my post-doctoral studies at Penn State University.
KeywordsTeacher Education Doctoral Student Doctoral Program Symbolic Order Observable Universe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christian D (2008) Big history: The big bang, life on earth, and the rise of humanity. The Teaching Company, Chantilly, VAGoogle Scholar
- Foucault M (1995) Discipline & punish: The birth of the prison. Vintage, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- Gabbard D (2010) The outlook for social justice in our compulsory schools: An anarchist forecast. Peace Studies Journal 3(1)Google Scholar
- Gabbard D (2014a) Idiots! Why critical educational theory isn’t critical enough. In: Abendroth M, Porfilio B (eds) School against the neoliberal rule. Information Age Press, Charlotte, NCGoogle Scholar
- Gabbard D (2014b) From K-EdD: Understanding the cycle of compliance and teacher education’s complicity in neoliberal school reform. In: Grey L, Cost Igan A (eds) De-Mythologizing educational reforms. Routledge, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- Gabbard D, Flint L (2013) Critical Questions in Education, 4(2). Issue, Special Theme, Not too big to fail: How teacher education killed the foundations, In Defense of FoundationsGoogle Scholar
- Gabbard D, Ritter S (2014) The market, multiculturalism, & leitkultur: Responding to Žižek’s challenge. Policy Futures in Education 12(1)Google Scholar
- Illich I (1971) Deschooling society. Harper and Row, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- Žižek S (2013) Less than nothing: Hegel and the shadow of dialectical materialism. UK, LondonGoogle Scholar