Asylum Policy: A Measure of the EU’s Fidelity to Its History and Values
- 12 Downloads
In his last book, entitled ‘Amsterdam: From the Market to the European Society’, the late Professor Francisco Lucas Pires singled out the EU’s asylum law and policy as the measure of its fidelity to its history and values. He also expressed the hope that enlarging the ECJ’s jurisdiction in the area of asylum law and policy and elevating the right to request asylum to a constitutional right would remedy the problems arising from the entanglement of law with politics. Although these aspirations subsequently materialized, they were not sufficient to deal with the challenges that the EU and its asylum policy recently faced as a result of the influx of asylum seekers from Syria and other troubled parts of the world. These circumstances ultimately exposed not a legal but a political challenge to transform the European Union in the minds of its citizens from a necessity to a coherent identity.
KeywordsArea of Freedom, Security and Justice Asylum Refugees EU-Turkey Statement Relocation of asylum seekers Humanitarian visa
- Beller S (2018) The Habsburg Monarchy 1815–1918. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2019) Asylum: Commission takes next step in infringement procedure against Hungary for criminalising activities in support of asylum applicants IP/19/469. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-469_en.htm. Accessed 28 January 2019.
- European Council (2016) EU-Turkey statement. https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2016/03/18/eu-turkey-statement/. Accessed 25 January 2019.
- Hungarian Helsinki Committee (2018) Asylum-seekers with Inadmissible Claims are Denied Food in Transit Zones at Border. https://www.helsinki.hu/wp-content/uploads/Denial-of-food-for-inadmissible-claims-HHC-info-update-17August2018.pdf. Accessed 25 January 2019.
- Sands Ph (2016) East West Street: On the Origins of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity. Weidenfeld & Nicholson, London.Google Scholar
- Şükrü Hanioğlu M (2010) A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire. Princeton University Press, Princeton/Oxford.Google Scholar