Education and Career Mobility Under China’s Market Economy
- 1.3k Downloads
In this chapter, we examine two related issues. First, to what extent has the pattern of educational attainment changed from the pre-reform to post-reform periods? Second, has education played an increasing role on work careers during the reform periods? To seek an empirical answer to these questions, we analyse a recent largescale household survey in which relevant information was collected.
KeywordsEducational Inequality High Education Policy Reform Period Career Mobility Hukou Status
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guo, S. B., Guo, Y., Beckett, G., Li, Q., & Guo, L. (2013). Changes in Chinese education under globalisation and market economy: Emerging issues and debates. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 43, 244–264.Google Scholar
- Hao, D. H. (2007). Urban educational stratification in China (1949–2003). Social Sciences in China, 6, 94–107.Google Scholar
- Li, C. L. (2010). Higher education expansion and education opportunity inequality. Sociological Studies, 3, 82–113.Google Scholar
- Li, Y. (2006). Institutional change and mechanism of educational inequality. Social Sciences in China, 4, 97–109.Google Scholar
- Liu, J. M. (2006). Higher education expansion and the differentiation of educational opportunity: 1978–2003. Chinese Journal of Sociology, 3, 158–179.Google Scholar
- Naughton, B. (2007). The Chinese economy: Transitions and growth. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Shavit, Y., & Blossfeld, H. P. (1993). Persistent inequality: Changing educational attainment in thirteen countries. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Walder, A. (1986). Communist neo-traditionalism: Work and authority in Chinese industry. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Wu, Y. X. (2011). Labor market segmentation, job mobility and the two-track model of Chinese urban workers’ acquisition of economic status. Social Sciences in China, 1, 119–137.Google Scholar
- Wu, Y. X. (2013). Educational opportunity inequality and its change in China (1978–2008). Social Sciences in China, 3, 4–21.Google Scholar
- Yang, D. P. (2006). Zhongguo Jiaoyu Gongping de Lixiang yu Xianshi [The Ideal and Reality of China’s Educational Fairness]. Peking: Peking University Press.Google Scholar