- 722 Downloads
My first full-time job was as a direct care worker in a residential facility for children who had severe and profound intellectual disabilities. On my first day two things happened: firstly the manager took me into the office and told me not to get too involved with the clients, to keep my distance, it was better that way. Then I was introduced to the group I had been assigned to work with: four children ages 8 to 16, three boys, one girl. Brendan, with blonde hair, large blue eyes, perfect skin and a permanent smile on his face; David, green eyes, freckled skin and a sprite-like personality; Jimmy, brown wavy hair and a wicked sense of humour; Julie, the oldest of the four, permanently miserable unless winking at one of the male staff.
KeywordsPalliative Care Informal Carer Social Care Community Nurse Professional Socialisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caring. (n.d.). In Collins English Dictionary online. Retrieved from http://www.Collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/caring
- Caring. (n.d.). In Oxford Dictionary online. Retrieved from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/caring
- Fonn, S., Mtonga, A. S., Nkoloma, H. C., Bantebya Kyomuhendo, G., Dasilva, L., Kazilimani, E., & Dia, R. (2001). Health providers’ opinions on provider–client relations: Results of a multi-country study to test health workers for change. Health Policy and Planning, 16(Suppl. 1), 19-23.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gilligan, C. (1982). In a different voice. Boston: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Higgs, J., Hummell, J., & Roe-Shaw, M. (2009). Becoming a member of a health profession: A journey of socialisation. In J. Higgs, M. Smith, G. Webb, M. Skinner & A. Croker (Eds.), Contexts of physiotherapy practice (pp. 58-71). Sydney, NSW: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Horsfall, D., Blignault, I., Perry A., Antonopoulos, P., Bridges, D., Zogalis, S. (2013). Love stories: The Greek Caring Journeys Project. Research report. Sydney: University of Western Sydney.Google Scholar
- Horsfall, D., Leonard, R., Evans, S., & Armitage, L. (2010). Care networks project: Growing and maintaining social networks for older people. Sydney: University of Western Sydney.Google Scholar
- Leonard, R., Johansson, S., & Horsfall, D. (2012). Bonding and bridging social capital with formal and informal carers in Sweden and Australia. 8th ISTR Asia Pacific Regional Conference, Sienna.Google Scholar
- Stephany, K. (2012). The ethic of care: A moral compass for Canadian Nursing. Vancouver: Bentham.Google Scholar