Mobile Games in China: Development and Current Status
- 821 Downloads
This chapter documents a broad range of characteristics pertaining to the nature of Chinese mobile games. The discussion commences with an overview of the general mobile games market in China, including highlighting subtle differences in how games are classified and a brief analysis of the current leading titles within each key genre. The chapter then moves onto a consideration of how mobile games are distributed and accessed in China, followed by how particular social and cultural elements may determine certain features in the composition of Chinese mobile games. Focus is placed on explaining the reasons for playing particular games, the choice of games, and how games are played by the Chinese audience. This is supported by two distinct case studies of highly successful titles to illustrate the various features and characteristics of Chinese games and audiences.
KeywordsChinese mobile games Game genres Game rankings Mass market
- Ahn, L. V., & Dabbish, L. (2008). Designing games with a purpose. ACM Communication Magazine, 51(8), 58–67.Google Scholar
- Apsalar. (2013, August). Top mobile game categories by in-app purchases & engagement. Retrieved from https://apsalar.com. Cited 15 July 2015.
- Avazu. (2014, June). China mobile game industry information handbook (Tech. Rep.).Google Scholar
- BBC. (2015, August). Secrets of china: Fit in or fall. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068232r. Cited 11 Oct 2015.
- Beijing-Evening-Post. (2015, September). Four ministries announcing to promote the healthy development of square dancing.Google Scholar
- CFCFAN. (2012). Analyzing the success factors for league of legend. Computer Fans, 19.Google Scholar
- Charles-River-Associates. (2015). Qihoo v. tencent: Economic analysis of the first chinese supreme court decision under anti-monopoly law. CRA Insights: China Highlights.Google Scholar
- Chen, Q. (2007). The excessive competition under gao kao and strategy analysis. Practice and Theory of SEZS.Google Scholar
- China-Household-Finance-Survey. (2013). Report of Chinese family income differences. Retrieved from http://chfs.swufe.edu.cn. Cited 2 July 2015.
- Chinese-Consultancy-Network. (2013). Analytical report of market research and investment in chinese chess industry. Retrieved from http://www.cction.com. Cited 10 July 2015.
- Chiu, C., Ip, C., & Silverman, A. (2012). Understanding social media in china. McKinsey Quarterly.Google Scholar
- CNNIC. (2013). China mobile game users research report. Retrieved from https://www.cnnic.net.cn. Cited 1 July 2015.
- CNNIC. (2015a). The 35th statistical report on china internet development. Retrieved from https://www.cnnic.net.cn. Cited 10 July 2015.
- CNNIC. (2015b). Report of 2014 Chinese mobile internet users entertainment behaviour. Retrieved from https://www.cnnic.net.cn. Cited 10 July 2015.
- Fang, W. (2012). Partial citizenship: the sadness dimension of Chinese experience. Exploration and Free Views, 2.Google Scholar
- Fung, A. (2010). Karaoke and social contradiction in china. Journal of Environment and Art, 8, 75–91.Google Scholar
- Global-Mobile-Game-Confederation. (2015). 2015 global mobile games whitebook. Retrieved from http://2015.gmgc.info. Cited 2 Sept 2015.
- iiMedia. (2013). 2013 q3 china mobile game research report. Retrieved from http://www.iimedia.cn/37026.html. Cited 10 Sept 2015.
- iiMedia. (2014). China mobile game market semi-annual research report of 2014. Retrieved from http://www.iimedia.cn/1410321392965n95n6.pdf. Cited 10 Sept 2015.
- iiMedia. (2015). 2015 h1 China mobile game market research report. Retrieved from http://www.iimedia.cn/39566.html. Cited 20 Sept 2015.
- Kemp, S. (2015). Digital, social & mobile worldwide in 2015. Retrieved from http://wearesocial.net/tag/statistics/. Cited 9 July 2015.
- LocalizeDirect. (2014). Game rule the itunes app store: most popular genres revealed. Retrieved from http://localizedirect.com. Cited 15 July 2015.
- MIIT. (2015a). Provincial distribution of telecommunication levels in the first quarter of 2015. Retrieved from http://www.miit.gov.cn. Cited 10 July 2015.
- MIIT. (2015b). Report on telecommunication service quality from the ministry of industry and information technology. Retrieved from http://www.miit.gov.cn. Cited 11 July 2015.
- Mufasa. (2013). Yinhan: Space hunter may exceed 20 million rmb per month. Retrieved from http://shikonglieren.gamedog.cn. Cited 20 Sept 2015.
- PC-Digest. (2014). Action type of mobile games on android.Google Scholar
- Rabin, S. (2005). Introduction to game development. Charles River Media.Google Scholar
- Sina-Finance. (2015). Chinese poker industry development status and dynamics. Retrieved from http://finance.sina.com.cn. Cited 30 June 2015.
- Sun, Y. (2012). Legal debate of iphone jail-breaking issues. Ali Research.Google Scholar
- Tencent. (2014). Annual performance report. Retrieved from http://www.tencent.com. Cited 20 July 2015.
- Tencent-Games. (2013). Wechat reaches 40 million registered users 10 days after release, with 25 million active users per day. Retrieved from http://games.qq.com/a/20130815/006511.htm. Cited 21 July 2015.
- Thompson, C. (2006). Google’s China problem. The New York Times.Google Scholar
- Trefry, G. (2010). Casual game design. CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Yuan, S. (2013). Conspicuous consumption of Chinese: Antecedents and consequences. Economic Press China.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y. (2012). A brief analysis of how the success of world of warcraft can impact Chinese game development. News Universe, 5.Google Scholar
- Zhou, D., Wu, K., & Tong, H. (2006). Ten stress-relief methods that are suitable for Chinese. Popular Medicine, 9, 6–8.Google Scholar
- Zhou, X. (2011). Chinese experience and Chinese practice: understanding the dual views of social transition. Tianjing Social Science, 6.Google Scholar