Applications of Urinary Proteomics in Renal Disease Research Using Animal Models
- 1.8k Downloads
Animal models of renal disease are essential tools in research on kidney disease and have provided valuable insights into pathogenesis. Use of animal models minimises inter-individual differences, allows specific pathological changes to be examined, and facilitates collection of tissue samples. Thus, mechanistic research and identification of biomarkers are possible. Various animal models manifesting specific pathological lesions can be used to investigate acute or chronic kidney disease (CKD). Urine, a terminal metabolic product, is produced via glomerular filtration, reabsorption, and excretion in the tubular and collecting ducts, reflecting the functions of glomeruli or tubular tissue stimulated in various ways or subject to disease. Almost 70 % of urinary proteins originate from the kidney (the other 30 % come from plasma), and urinary sampling is important to noninvasively detect renal disease. Proteomics is powerful when used to screen urine components. Increasingly, urine proteomics is used to explore the pathogenesis of kidney disease in animals and to identify novel biomarkers of renal disease. In this section, we will introduce the field of urinary proteomics as applied in different models of animal renal disease and the valuable role played by proteomics in noninvasive diagnosis and rational treatment of human renal disease.
KeywordsUrine proteomics Renal diseases Animal models
- 4.Borza DB, Hudson BG (2003) Molecular characterization of the target antigens of anti-glomerular basement membrane antibody disease. In: Springer seminars in immunopathology, vol 24. Springer, Berlin, pp 345–361Google Scholar
- 15.Murata I, Ooi K, Sasaki H, Kimura S, Ohtake K, Ueda H, Uchida H, Yasui N, Tsutsui Y, Yoshizawa N, Hirotsu I, Morimoto Y, Kobayashi J (2011) Characterization of systemic and histologic injury after crush syndrome and intervals of reperfusion in a small animal model. J Trauma 70:1453–1463PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar