Future Trends of Bioinspired Smell and Taste Sensors
- 1k Downloads
Anosmia and ageusia are both harmful to the quality of life. However, the common view of anosmia and ageusia as trivial can make it more difficult for a patient to receive the same types of medical aid as someone who has lost other senses, such as sight or hearing. In order to achieve those goals, electronic noses and electronic tongue should be designed to mimic human’s sense rather than outputting electrical parameters only. Unfortunately, most commercial electronic noses (PEN3, zNose) detect volatile compounds in samples . But for human beings, our nose can determine whether the sample is fragrant or not instead of determining what compounds are in the sample.
KeywordsElectronic Nose Gustatory Cell Electronic Tongue Taste Sensor Gustatory Receptor
- 7.Pickens H. Brain port lets the blind ‘See’ with their tongues. http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl.
- 8.Holton B. eSight eyewear and smart glasses from assisted vision. 2014.Google Scholar
- 9.Bougrini M, Tahri K, Haddi Z, El Bari N, Llobet E, Jaffrezic-Renault N, Bouchikhi B. Aging time and brand determination of pasteurized milk using a multisensor e-nose combined with a voltammetric e-tongue. Mater Sci Eng: C. 2014;45348–358.Google Scholar
- 15.Clynes ME, Kline NS. Cyborgs and space. The cyborg handbook; 1995. p. 29–34.Google Scholar
- 16.Niedzviecki H, Mann S, Cyborg: Digital destiny and human possibility in the age of the wearable computer. Doubleday Canada; 2001.Google Scholar
- 17.Robinson D. Cyborg translation; 2000.Google Scholar
- 18.Brown S. Stealth sharks to patrol the high seas. New Sci. 2006;189(2541):30–1.Google Scholar
- 19.Lehmkuhle MJ, Vetter RJ, Parikh H, Carrier JC, Kipke DR. Implantable neural interfaces for characterizing population responses to odorants and electrical stimuli in the nurse shark. Ginglymostoma cirratum. Chem Sens. 2006;31(5):A14–A14.Google Scholar
- 20.Anthes E. Frankenstein’s cat: cuddling up to biotech’s brave new beasts. Oneworld Publications; 2013.Google Scholar
- 21.Singer E. Send in the rescue rats. New Sci. 2004;183(2466):21–21.Google Scholar
- 25.Ananthaswamy A. First robot moved by muscle power. New Sci. 2004;181(2436):23–23.Google Scholar