The Blue Soul of Jazz: Lessons on Waves of Anguish
This chapter is about the literal jazz of teaching and the literal teachings of jazz, separate and as a whole. It is performative, imagining the soul that has—and sangs—the blues. Pablo Neruda, Willie Nelson, William James, Toni Morrison, Miles Davis. We live in a time and place where the teacher is expected to either succeed or fail, but these expectations miss the most obvious lesson: the teacher must be present, a companion, even when companionship is hard, impossible, and require that one must suffer on waves of anguish. This essay tries to show the jazz, teacher, and teaching that is always already there and what is lost when they are tossed to and fro between rigorists and sentimentalists.
KeywordsFolk Music Zymotic Disease Jazz Music Pentatonic Scale Suicidal Contemplation
- Bayard, E. (2012). Eddie Bayard. Wabash College. Audio available via YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zltuoyy5VRk. Accessed 10 Aug 2013. Transcribed by author.
- Birman, H., et al. (2009). In memory of friend, colleague, and hero. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 46. Available via http://www.esm.vt.edu/memoriam/IJSS-one.pdf. Accessed 10 Aug 2013.
- Coltrane, J. (1965). A love supreme. New York: Impulse! Records.Google Scholar
- Coltrane, J. (1970). Transition. New York: Impulse! Records.Google Scholar
- D’Angelo. (1995). Brown sugar. New York: EMI.Google Scholar
- D’Angelo. (2000). Voodoo. New York: VirginGoogle Scholar
- Davis, M. (1970). Bitches brew. New York: Columbia Records.Google Scholar
- Davis, M., & Troupe, Q. (1990). Miles: The autobiography. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Hawkins, C. (1939). Body and soul. New York: Bluebird.Google Scholar
- Heron, G. S. (1970). A new black poet – Small talk at 125th and Lenox. New York: Flying Dutchman Records.Google Scholar
- Hughes, L. (1990). Selected poems of Langston Hughes. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- James, W. (1936). The varieties of religious experience. New York: Modern Library.Google Scholar
- James, W. (1940). Some problems of philosophy: A beginning of an introduction to philosophy. New York: Longman and Greens.Google Scholar
- James, W. (2001). Talks to teachers on psychology: and to students on some of life’s ideals. New York: Dover.Google Scholar
- Mingus, C. (1970). Blues and roots. New York: Atlantic Records.Google Scholar
- Morrison, T. (1992). Jazz. New York: Knopf.Google Scholar
- Nelson, W. (1975). Redheaded stranger. New York: Columbia Records.Google Scholar
- Neruda, P. (2010). Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada y cien sonetos de amor. New York: Vintage Español. Translation by the author.Google Scholar
- Noddings, N. (2003). Caring: A feminine approach to ethics and moral education (2nd ed.). Berkley/Los Angeles: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Rocha, S. D. (2014). Late to love. Bismark: Wiseblood Records.Google Scholar
- Rocha, S. D. (2015). Folk phenomenology: Education, study, and the human person. Eugene: Pickwick Publications.Google Scholar