Analysis of the OBS Data and Numerical Simulation for the 1990 Mariana Earthquake Tsunami
- 86 Downloads
A method to reduce the noises in a OBS raw data by using the band-pass filter is presented. Tsunami records extracted from the raw data obtained in the deep ocean are compared with the computed results of the linear long wave theory. Although the computed and measured tsunami give the same maximum height of the order of 1cm, there are many differences between the two. Transformation of the tsunami on the continental slope determined from computed and observed data indicates that computed wave paths or directivity may be different from the observed one and that the physical dispersion is needed in the simulation to reproduce tsunami traveling along trenches and ridges.
KeywordsTsunami Wave Deep Ocean Pressure Gauge Tsunami Height Fault Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abe,Ku., M.Okada and Y.Tsuji(1990) “The 1990 Mariana tsunami having a normal fault origin at the deep sea”, Proc.Seismo.Sci.Japan, No.2, C50, 262 p. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Gonzalez,F.I., E.N.Bernard, H.B.Miburn, D.Castel, J.Thomas and J.H.Hemsley (1987) “The Pacific Tsunami Observation Program (PACTop)”, Proc.Inter.Tsunami Sympo., Vancouver, pp. 3–19.Google Scholar
- Hatori,H. (1986) “Classification of tsunami magnitude scale”, Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst.,Univ. Tokyo, 54, pp. 503–515.Google Scholar
- Mansinha,L. and D.E.Smile (1971) “ The displacement fields of inclined faults”, Bull. Seism. Soc. Amer., vol. 61 no. 5, pp. 1433–1440.Google Scholar
- Nagano,O., F.Imamura and N.Shuto(1991) “A Numerical Model for Far-Field Tsunamis and Its Application to Predict Damages Done to Aquaculture”, Natural Hazards, 4, pp. 235–255.Google Scholar
- Okada,M. (1990) “Ocean Bottom Pressure Gauge for Tsunami Warning System in Japan”, 2nd UJNR Tsunami Workshop, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp.219–227, 1990.Google Scholar
- Satake,K.,Y.Yoshida and Ka.Abe(1990) “Mechanism of Mariana Earthquake(2)Analysis of tsunami Wave form-”, Proc.Seismo.Sci.Japan, No.2, A70, 70p.(in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Satake,K., Y.Yoshida and Ka.Abe(1992) “Tsunami from the Mariana earthquake of April 5, 1990: Its abnormal propagation and implications for tsunami potential from outer-rise earthquake”, Geophys. Res. Lett., vol.19 no.3, pp.301304.Google Scholar
- Sayama,J., N.Shuto and C.Goto(1988) “Errors induced by refraction in tsunami numerical simulation”, 6th Asian and Pacific Region Division IAHR, Kyoto, pp.257–264.Google Scholar
- Yoshida,Y., K.Satake and Ka.Abe(1992) “The large normal-faulting Mariana earthquake of April 5, 1990 in uncoupled subduction zone”, Geophy. Res. Let., vol.19 no. 3,pp. 297–300.Google Scholar