The Minimalist Conception of Truth and Philosophy of Science
- 154 Downloads
In my paper I would like to consider Ajdukiewicz’s theory of meaning as a form of deflationism. This theory was formulated in the thirties and was published in two articles: “Sprache and Sinn” and “Das Weltbild and die Begriffsapparatur”. My paper is intended as not only a historical study. Above all I want to interpret some aspects of Ajdukiewicz’s construction as a theoretical model of deflationary ideas concerning science. I believe that this will help in examining the capacity of the deflationary account to accommodate some important facts regarding rationality and scientific development.
KeywordsConceptual Apparatus Linguistic Behaviour World Picture Minimalist Conception Meaning Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ajdukiewicz, K. (1995). My philosophical ideas. In: Sinisi, V. and Wolenski, J., editors, The Heritage of Kazimierz Ajdukiewicz, Poznan Studies in the Philosophy of the Sciences and the Humanities, vol. 40, pp. 13–33. Rodopi, Amsterdam-Atlanta.Google Scholar
- Field, H. (1986). The deflationary conception of truth. In: MacDonald, G. and Wright, C., editors, Fact, Science and Value, pp. 55–117. Basil Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Giedymin, J. (1995). Radical conventionalism, its background and evolution: Poincaré, Le Roy, Ajdukiewicz. In: Sinisi, V. and Wolenski, J., editors, The Heritage of Kazimierz Ajdukiewicz, Poznan Studies in the Philosophy of the Sciences and the Humanities, vol. 40, pp. 101–137. Rodopi, Amsterdam-Atlanta.Google Scholar
- Grobler, A. (1999). Ajdukiewicz, Lakatos i racjonalizacja konwencjonalizmu. Kwartalnik Filozoficzny, volume XXVII, 1: 5–16.Google Scholar
- Horwich, P. (1990). Truth. Basil Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Quine, W. O. V. (1992). Pursuit of Truth. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass, second edition.Google Scholar
- Ramsey, F. P. (1964). Facts and propositions. In Pitcher G., editor, Truth, pp. 16–17. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Wòjcicki, R. (1999). Ajdukiewicz’s theory of meaning. Paper presented at Second Summer School for Theory of Knowledge, WarszawaMgdralin. Available on: http://come.to/sumrner.school.Google Scholar