The Thermodynamic Arrow of Time in Quantum Cosmology
- 149 Downloads
It is an observational fact that the arrow defined by the increase of thermodynamic entropy points in the same direction as the arrow defined by the expansion of the universe. However, the status of this relation is a highly debated issue. Famously, Gold (1958, 1962) argued that, far from being a contingent fact, the relation is a causal one: the thermodynamic entropy increases as a result of the expansion of the universe, whereas in a collapsing universe the entropy necessarily decreases.
KeywordsWave Packet Classical Trajectory Quantum Cosmology Perturbation Mode Path Integral Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gold, T. (1958). The arrow of time. In 11th Solvay Conference; Structure and Evolution of the Universe. Stoops, Brussels.Google Scholar
- Halliwell, J. J. (1994). Quantum cosmology and time asymmetry. In (Hal-liwell, J. J., Pérez-Mercader, J. and Zurek, W. H., 1994 ), pp. 369–389.Google Scholar
- Halliwell, J. J., Pérez-Mercader, J. and Zurek, W. H., editors, (1994). Physical Origins of Time Asymmetry. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Hawking, S. W. (1994). The no boundary condition and the arrow of time. In (Halliwell, J. J., Pérez-Mercader, J. and Zurek, W. H., 1994 ), pp. 346–357.Google Scholar
- Isham, C. J. (1993). Canonical quantum gravity and the problem of time. In Ibort L. A. and Rodriguez M. A., editors, Integrable Systems, Quantum Groups, and Quantum Field Theories, pp. 157–287. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Kuchaf, K. V. (1992). Time and interpretations of quantum gravity. In Kunstatler G., editor, Proceedings of the 4th Canadian Conference on General Relativity and Relativistic Astrophysics. World Scientific, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Unruh, W. (1995). Time, gravity and quantum mechanics. In Savitt, S. F., editor, Time’s Arrows Today, pp. 23–65. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Zeh, H. D. (1994). Time (a-)symmetry in a recollapsing quantum universe. In (Halliwell, J. J., Pérez-Mercader, J. and Zurek, W. H., 1994), pp. 390–404. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar