Example-Based Sense Tagging of Running Chinese Text
This paper describes a sense tagging technique for the automatic sense tagging of running Chinese text. The system takes as input running Chinese text, and outputs sense disambiguated text. Whereas previous work ((Yarowsky, 1992; Gale et al., 1992; Gale et al., 1993)) relies heavily on the role of statistics, the present system makes use of Machine Readable/Tractable Dictionaries ((Wilks et al., 1990; Guo, 1995)) and an example-based reasoning technique ((Nagao, 1984; Sumita et al., 1990); to treat novel words, compound words, and phrases found in the input text.
KeywordsMachine Translation Chinese Character Word Sense Function Word Compound Word
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bai, S. H., Xia, Y., Huang, C-L. 1992, Research on Chinese Grammatical Tagging Method for Chinese Corpus. In: Chen (ed.). Development in Machine Translation. Dianzi Gongye Publishing House, Beijing, pp. 408–418.Google Scholar
- Fu, X-L. 1987. Xiandai Hanyu Tongyong Zidian. Waiyu Jiaoxue Yu Yanjiu Publishing House, Beijing.Google Scholar
- Gale, W. A., Church, K. W. and Yarowsky, D. 1992. Work on Statistical Methods for Word Sense Disambiguation. Working Notes for AAAI Fall Symposium on Probabilistic Approaches to Natural Language. pp. 54–60.Google Scholar
- Guo, C. M. 1995. Machine Tractable Dictionaries: Design and Construction. Ablex, Norwood, NJ.Google Scholar
- Mei, J. Zh. 1983. Tongyici Cilin. Shanghai Cishu Publishing House, Shanghai.Google Scholar
- Nagao, M. 1984. A Framework of a Mechanical Translation Between Japanese and English by Analogy Example. In: Elithorn and Benerji (eds). Artificial and Human Intelligence. Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Sinclair, J. 1991. Monitor Corpora. Corpus, Concordance, Collocation. Oxford University Press. pp. 24–26.Google Scholar
- Sumita, E., Iida, H. and Kohyama, H. 1990. Translating with Examples: a New Approach to Machine Translation. The Third International Conference on Theoretical and Methodological Issues in Machine Translation of Natural Language. Austin, Texas.Google Scholar
- Yarowsky, D. 1992. Word-sense Disambiguation Using Statistical Models of Roget’s Categories Trained on Large Corpora. COLINC-92. Nantes, France. pp. 454–460.Google Scholar
- Zhang, W. 1986. Character Meanings and Word Meanings. China Wuzi Publishing House,Beijing.Google Scholar