Conditions for Sporulation and Preservation of Conidia of Rice Blast Fungus Pyricularia Grisea
- 406 Downloads
Rice blast caused by Pyricularia grisea (Rossman et al., 1990), is a serious and destructive disease around the world (Ou, 1985; Latterell, 1986; Guochang, 1994). In experiments involving the screening of rice varieties to blast resistance (Shuyuan et al., 1986), conidia were required in large quantity for use as inoculum. Sporulation in P. grisea is a process distinct from mycelial growth in many respects. A certain amont of vegetative growth is a pre-requisite to the formation of conidia but did not always lead to sporulation. The present paper describes the conditions required for sporulation and the effects of some factors upon sporulation namely, different light sources and various media. Information on the conditions required for sporulation is likely to be useful in understanding the disease epidemics and control and also to produce sufficient spores for large scale inoculation experiments. Unfortunately, not all isolates of M. grisea sporulate well. In order to determine the best methods and optimal conditions for increasing sporulation of P. grisea, 17 media and BLB irradiation (Ahn, 1974) have been tested.
KeywordsRice Straw Rice Variety Rice Bran Rice Blast Blast Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ou, S.H. (1985) Rice diseases (2nd edition), Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Surrey, England, pp.109201.Google Scholar
- Rossman, A.Y., Howard, r.J. and Valent, B. (1990) Pyricularia grisea, the correct name for the rice blast fungus, Mycologia 82, 509–512.Google Scholar
- Shuyuan, S., Minzhong, J., Zhimin, Z., Xinlan, T., Rongxiang, T. and Fang, D. (1986) Rice blast disease and its control, Shanghai Sciences and Technology publishing, Shanghai, P.R. China, pp. 1–182.Google Scholar
- Guochang, S., Zongtan, S., Shuyuan, S., Yongqiang, Tand De, S. (1989) Preservation of Pyricularia oryzae conidia, Chinese Journal of Rice science 3, 40–43.Google Scholar
- Guochang, S., Zongtan, S. and Shuyuan, S (1990a) Studies on the condition of sporulation of rice blast fungus, Pyricularia oryzae, Acta Agriculturae Univeristatis Zhejiangensis 16, 51–54.Google Scholar
- Guochang, S., De, S., Shuyuan, S. and Zongtan, S. (1990b) Studies on the techniques for rapid sporulation of Pyricularia oryzae, Acta Agriculturae Zhejiangensis 2, 93–94.Google Scholar
- Guochang, S. (1994) Notes on the correct name of pathogen of rice blast, Acta Mycologica Sinica 13, 158–159.Google Scholar