Deformation and Failure of Ice Cover under Compression
Two types of ice cover deformation processes have been studied: compression of ice fields made up of small floes and compression of two identical ice sheets. While these processes have differences, they also show common features. It is suggested that the ice cover deformation should be described as a single process with different phases. In this context, the fact that an ice cover can have several different morphological features (rafted ice, ridges, rubble) is not an indication of different processes, but an indication of different stages in a single process.
KeywordsSmall Floe Floe Field Pusher Plate Ship Laboratory Rubble Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abdelnour, R. and Croasdale, K. 1986. Ice forces associated with ridge building: Model tests and results compared with theoretical models. Proc. of IAHR Ice Symp. Vol.3, 227–245.Google Scholar
- Hansen, E.H. and Tuhkuri, J. 1997. Ice tank tests on marginal ice zone rheology. Proc. of the 16th Int. Conf. on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Vol. IV, 469–475.Google Scholar
- Kankaanpää, P. 1997. Distribution, morphology and structure of sea ice pressure ridges in the Baltic Sea. Fennia, 175, 139–240.Google Scholar
- Løset, S. and Timco, G.W. 1992. Laboratory testing of a flexible boom for ice management. Proc. of the 11th Int. Conf. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 289–295.Google Scholar
- Timco, G.W. and Sayed. M. 1986. Model tests of the ridge-building process of ice. Proc. of IAHR Ice Symp. Vol.1, 591–602.Google Scholar
- Tuhkuri, J. and Lensu, M. 1997. Ice tank tests on rafting of a broken ice field. Helsinki University of Technology, Ship Laboratory, Report M-218. 73 p.Google Scholar
- Tuhkuri, J. and Lensu, M. 1998. Ice tank tests on ridging of non-uniform ice sheets. Helsinki University of Technology, Ship Laboratory, Report M-236. 130 p.Google Scholar
- Tuhkuri, J., Lensu, M. and Hopkins, M. 1998. Laboratory and field studies on ridging of an ice sheet. Proc. of IAHR Ice Symp. Vol.1, 397–404.Google Scholar
- Tuhkuri, J., Lensu, M. and Saarinen, S. 1999. Laboratory and field studies on mechanics of ice ridge formations. Proc. of the 15th Int. Conf. on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions, Vo13, 1118–1129.Google Scholar