Fracture of Ice on Scales Large and Small
Part of the Solid Mechanics and Its Applications book series (SMIA, volume 94)
Evidence is presented which suggests that the mechanisms of brittle compressive failure of ice are independent of spatial scale.
KeywordsSlip Line Synthetic Aperture Radar Image Secondary Crack Wing Crack Zigzag Edge
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bilham, R., and Williams, P. 1985. Sawtooth segmentation and deformation processes on the southern San Andreas fault. Geophys. Res. Letts. 68: 3939–3953.Google Scholar
- Dempsey, J.P. Scale effects on the fracture of ice. The Johannes Weertman Symposium, 351–361. The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society. Anaheim, California.Google Scholar
- Hibler, W.D. and Schulson, E.M. 2000. On modeling the anisotropic failure and flow of flawed sea ice. J. Geophys. Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- Iliescu, D. 2000. Contributions to brittle compressive failure of ice, Ph.D. thesis, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College.Google Scholar
- Ingraffea, A.R. 1981. Mixed-mode fracture initiation in Indiana limestone and Westerly granite. Proc. U.S. Symp. Rock Mechanics 22: 196–191.Google Scholar
- Kwok, R.E., Cunningham, G.F., LaBelle-Hamer, N., Holt, B. and Rothrock, D. 1999. EOS, 494–497.Google Scholar
- Kwok, R.E. and Sterns, H. 2000. personal communication.Google Scholar
- McClintock, F.A. and Walsh, J.B. Proceedings 4th U.S. Natn. Congr. Appl. Mech. Proceedings 4 th U.S. Natn. Congr. Appl. Mech. 1962, 1015. New York.Google Scholar
- McNutt. 2000. personal communication.Google Scholar
- Schulson, E.M. 2001a. Brittle failure of ice. Eng. Fracture Mechanics (in press).Google Scholar
- Schulson, E.M. 2001b. Compressive shear faulting in ice: Coulombic vs. plastic faults (submitted to Phil. Mag.).Google Scholar
- Schulson, E.M. 1996. The failure of ice under compression. TMS Annual Meeting, Weertman Symposium, 363–374. Feb. 5–9, 1996 in Annaheim, California.Google Scholar
- Stern, H. 2000. personal communication.Google Scholar
- VanGeel, E. 1998. Concrete Behaviour in Multiaxial Compression: Experimental Research, Tehnische Universiteit Engdhoven, Ontwerpen.Google Scholar
- VanMier, J. 1984. Strain softening of concrete under multiaxial loading conditions, Ph.D. thesis, Eindhaven University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Weiss, J. 2001. Fracture and fragmentation of ice: a fractal analysis of scale invariance. Engineering Fracture Mechanics (in press).Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2001