Is Explanation a Guide to Inference? A Reply to Wesley C. Salmon
- 283 Downloads
Earlier in this volume, Wesley Salmon has given a characteristically clear and trenchant critique of the account of non-demonstrative reasoning known by the slogan ‘Inference to the Best Explanation’. As a long-time fan of the idea that explanatory considerations are a guide to inference, I was delighted by the suggestion that Wes and I might work together on a discussion of the issues. In the event, this project has exceeded my high expectations, for in addition to the intellectual gain that comes from the careful study of his essay, I have benefited enormously from the stream of illuminating emails and faxes that Wes has sent me during our collaboration. Doing philosophy together has been an education and a pleasure.
KeywordsPosterior Probability Prior Probability Good Explanation Actual Explanation Childbed Fever
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Cartwright 1983]
- [Goodman 1983]Goodman, N., (1983). Fact, Fiction, and Forecast, 4th ed. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill.Google Scholar
- [Harmari 1965]
- [Hempel 1965]Hempel, C., (1965). Aspects of Scientific Explanation. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- [Hume 1777]Hume, D., (1777). An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, L.A. Selby-Bigg and P.H. Nidditch (eds.), 1975. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- [Lipton 1991]Lipton, P., (1991). Inference to the Best Explanation. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- [Lipton 1993]Lipton, P., (1993). “Contrastive Explanation”, in D. Hillel Ruben (ed.), Explanation, Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- [Peirce 1931]Peirce, C., (1931). Collected Papers. C. Hartshorn and P. Weiss (eds.), Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- [Sober 1988]Sober, E., (1988). Reconstructing the Past: Parsimony, Evolution and Inference. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- [Thagard 1978]
- [van Fraassen 1980]