RV Tauri Stars
Several problems of the theory of the RV Tauri stars are reviewed on the basis of the numerical nonlinear modelling. We analyse the nature of the alternating pulsations of these variables, and discuss their relation to the period doubling phenomenon in W Virginis stars. We also discuss the period-luminosity relation for RV Tauri stars, recently obtained following the MACHO survey of the LMC stars, and compare it to the theoretical prediction. The problem of the secondary long-period variability of the RVb group is analysed in the frame of the binary nature of these stars.
KeywordsRV Tauri stars W Virginis stars LMC numerical nonlinear modelling tangent bifurcation period-doubling bifurcation period-luminosity relation RVb stars
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alcock, C., et al. (The MACHO Collaboration) (1998). The MACHO Project LMC Variable Star Inventory. VII. The Discovery of RV Tauri Stars and New Type II Cepheids in the Large Magellanic Cloud. Astrophys. J., 115: 1921–1933.Google Scholar
- Bridger, A. (1985). Theoretical Models of W-Virginis Stars. In Cepheids: Theory and Observation, IA U Colloquium No. 82, Toronto, Cambridge Univ. Press, page 246.Google Scholar
- Buchler, J. R., Goupil, M.-J., and Kovacs, G. (1987). Tangent Bifurcation to Chaos in Stellar Pulsations. Phys. Letters, Al26: 177–180.Google Scholar
- Tsesevich, W. (1933). On Period of Mu Cephei-type Stars. Leningrad Univ. Obs. Bull., 2: 2–3.Google Scholar
- Tsesevich, V. P. (1975). The RV Tauri Type Stars. In Kukarkin, B. V. editor, Pulsating Stars, ( New York: J.Wiley )Google Scholar
- Vidal, C. (1981). Dynamics Instabilities Observed in the BelousovZhabotinsky System. In Haken, H., editor, Chaos and Order in Nature. Proc. Int. Symp. on Synergetics at Schloss Elmau., Springer-Verlag, pages 68–82.Google Scholar
- Waelkens, C., and Waters, L.B. F. M. (1975). Binarity of High-latitude Supergiants: Observational Evidence. In Sasselov, D. D. editor, Luminous High-Latitude Stars, Astron. Soc. Pacific Conf. Series 45, pages 219–230.Google Scholar