An LTE Code for the Inversion of Stokes Spectra from Solar Magnetic Elements
We describe an LTE inversion code capable of inferring the thermal, magnetic and dynamic properties of unresolved magnetic elements. This information is obtained by fitting Stokes spectra observed in active region faculae and the quiet sun network. Our code implements the simplest two-component model of solar magnetic elements, namely the thin flux tube model. The geometry of such tubes is fully taken into account for the computation of synthetic Stokes spectra. The code makes extensive use of the so-called response functions, and employs a nonlinear least-squares Marquardt algorithm to solve the problem of minimizing the sum of squared differences between the observed and computed profiles. One of the main advantages of our inversion code with respect to previous diagnostic techniques is that it is able to deal with arbitrary stratifications of the physical parameters which determine the structure of the flux tubes. In this paper, results of some numerical simulations aimed at characterizing the behavior of the code are presented.
Key wordsLine profiles polarization magnetic fields radiative transfer faculae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellot Rubio, L.R., Ruiz Cobo, B., & Collados, M.: 1999a, ApJ, submittedGoogle Scholar
- Bellot Rubio, L.R., Ruiz Cobo, B., & Collados, M.: 1999c, in: High Resolution Solar Physics: Theory, Observations and Techniques, Proc. of the 19th NSO/Sacramento Peak Summer Workshop, eds. T. Rimmele, K.S. Balasubramanian, & R. Radick, ASP Conference Series, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Press, W. H., Flannery, B. P., Teukolsky, S. A., & Vetterling, W. T.: 1986 Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Rodríguez Hidalgo, I., Ruiz Cobo, B., del Toro Iniesta, J.C., Collados, M., & Sánchez Almeida, J.: 1995, in: JOSO Annual Report 1995, ed. M. Saniga, Astronomical Insti tute, Tatranská LomnicaGoogle Scholar
- Ruiz Cobo, B., Bellot Rubio L.R., & Collados, M.: 1999, in K.N. Nagendra, J.O. Stenflo (eds.), Solar Polarization, Proc. 2nd SPW, Kluwer, Dordrecht, (in this Volume).Google Scholar
- del Toro Iniesta, J.C., & Ruiz Cobo, B.: 1997, in Forum Themis. Science with Themis, eds. N. Mein & S. Sahal-Bréchot, Publication of Paris Observatory, 93Google Scholar