Failure Modes in Sandwich T-Joints
Sandwich T-joints are attractive structural members in high speed marine vehicles. Such joints can fail in several ways under static loading. In this paper we develop equations describing the load at which failure occurs for each possible failure mode for a sandwich beam with a brittle face and a core material that yields plastically. The critical loads have been compared with those from the numerical investigation of a typical GRP/PVC sandwich T-joint under pull out load.
KeywordsFailure Mode Critical Load Sandwich Panel Sandwich Beam Minimum Principal Stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Plantema, F.J. (1966) Sandwich Construction Vol.3 of Airplane Missile and Spacecraft Structures. John Wiley and Sons, Inc..Google Scholar
- 2.Allen, H. G. (1969) Analysis and Design of Structural Sandwich Panels Pergamon, Oxford.Google Scholar
- 3.Smith, C.S. (1990) Design ofMarine Structures in Composite Materials Elsevier Applied Science, London.Google Scholar
- 5.Gibson, L. and Ashby, M.F. (1988) Cellular Solids-Structures and Properties Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Olsson, K.A. and Lonno, A. (1987) Testing procedure for core materials, K.A. Olssom and R.P. Reichard (eds.), Proceedings of the First International Conference on Sandwich Construction EMAS. U.K.. pp. 293–318.Google Scholar
- 8.Fagerheim, G., Moan T. and Taby, J. (1989) Experimental determination of the ultimate strength of GRP/PVC.Google Scholar
- 10.Theotokoglou, E. E. and Moan, T. (1991) Stress Analysis of a GRP/PVC sandwich T-joint, in S. W. Tsai and G.S. Springer (eds.), Proceedings of the Eight International Conference on Comoosite Materials (ICCM/8), Sampe, USA, 1, pp. 9.C.1–9–C.10.Google Scholar
- 11.Kildegaard, C., (1993) Structural design of T-joints in Marine FRP-sandwich structures, Doctoral thesis. Aalbora University, Denmark, Special Report No.2.Google Scholar
- 13.Users Manual for ANSYS (1990), Swanson Analysis Systems, Houston, PA, USA.Google Scholar