Discrete Inequalities of Wirtinger’s Type
Part of the Mathematics and Its Applications book series (MAIA, volume 430)
Various discrete versions of Wirtinger’s type inequalities are considered. A short account on the first results in this field given by Fan, Taussky and Todd  as well as some generalisations of these discrete inequalities are done. Also, a general method for finding the best possible constants A n and B n in inequalities of the form
where p = (p k ) and r = (r k ) are given weight sequences and x = (x k ) is an arbitrary sequence of the real numbers, is presented. Two types of problems are investigated and several corollaries of the basic results are obtained. Further generalisations of discrete inequalities of Wirtinger’s type for higher differences are also treated.
Key words and phrasesDiscrete inequalities Difference Eigenvalues and eigenvectors Best constants Orthogonal polynomials
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 17.G. V. Milovanović, Numerical Analysis, Part I, 3rd Edition, Naučna Knjiga, Belgrade, 1991. (Serbian)Google Scholar
- 18.G. V. Milovanović, Numerical Analysis, Part II, 3rd Edition, Naučna Knjiga, Belgrade, 1981. (Serbian)Google Scholar
- 21.——, Discrete inequalities of Wirtinger’s type for higher differences, J. Ineq. Appl. 1 (1997) (to appear).Google Scholar
- 22.G. V. Milovanovič, I. Ž. Milovanović and L. Z. Marinkovic, Extremal problems for polynomials and their coefficients, Topics in Polynomials of One and Several Variables and Their Applications (Th. M. Rassias, H. M. Srivastava and A. Yanushauskas, eds.), World Scientific, Singapore — New Jersey — London — Hong Kong, 1993, pp. 435–455.Google Scholar
- 24.D. S. Mitrinović and P. M. Vasić An inequality ascribed to Wirtinger and its variations and generalization, Univ. Beograd. Publ. Elektrotehn. Fak. Ser. Mat. Fiz. No 247 — No 273 (1969), 157–170.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1998