Update Semantics for Propositional Texts
In recent years, the attention in formal semantics has shifted from the interpretation of sentences to the semantics of texts. In Montague’s program the meaning of a sentence is derived from the meanings of the components of the sentence. The syntactic form of the sentence tells us how we have to combine the meanings of the components to get the interpretation of the sentence as a whole. This program has been applied succesfully to a wide range of phenomena in sentential semantics.
KeywordsAtomic Proposition Interpretation Process Dynamic Semantic Compositional Semantic Final Segment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- van Benthem, J.: 1991, Language in Action. North HollandGoogle Scholar
- Groenendijk, J. and Stokhof, M.: 1990, “Dynamic Montague Grammar”, in: L. Kaiman and L. Polos (eds), Papers from the Second Symposium on Logic and Information. Akademiai Kiado, BudapestGoogle Scholar
- Heim, I.: 1983, “File Change Semantics and the Familiarity Theory of Defi-nites”, in: Bauerle et al. (eds), Meaning, Use and Interpretation of Language. De GruyterGoogle Scholar
- Kamp, H.: 1981, “A Theory of Truth and Semantic Representation”, in: J. Groenendijk et al. (eds), Formal Methods in the Study of Language. Mathematisch CentrumGoogle Scholar
- Kaplan, D.: 1979, “On the Logic of Demonstratives”, in: Uehling French and Wettstein (eds), Contemporary Perspectives in the Philosophy of Language. University of Minnesota Press, pp. 401–412Google Scholar
- Muskens, R.: 1991, “Anaphora and the Logic of Change”, in: J. Van Eijck (ed.), JELIA’90, European Workshop on Logics in AI. Berlin: Springer Verlag, Lecture Notes in AI 478Google Scholar
- Stalnaker, R.: 1978, “Pragmatics”, in: P. Davidson and G. Harman (eds), Semantics of Natural Language. Dordrecht: ReidelGoogle Scholar
- Veltman, F.: 1991, Defaults in Update Semantics. Technical Report LP-91–02, Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, University of Amsterdam. To appear in Journal of Philosophical Logic Google Scholar
- Vermeulen, C: 1993, “Incremental Semantics for Propositional Texts”, Logic Group Preprint Series 85, Department of Philosophy, Utrecht University. To appear in Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic Google Scholar