Numerical Analysis of Les of Flow Past a Long Square Cylinder
- 325 Downloads
The flow past a bluff body is frequently associated with periodic vortex shedding. In this paper, the turbulent flow past a square cylinder is simulated by larg-eddy simulation. The Smagorinsky model (1963) is adopted as the SGS model for the subgrid Reynolds stress term. In addition, an upwind-biased scheme is used for discretizing the convection term to stabilize the numerical calculation. The effect of the upwinding is found to be rather significant. The magnitude of the numerical viscosity term of the upwind scheme is controlled to minimize its effect.
KeywordsLarge Eddy Simulation Strouhal Number Bluff Body Upwind Scheme Subgrid Scale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Archambeau, F., Laurence, D. and Leschziner M. A., (1995) Test case A: Vortex Shedding behind a Square Prism at Re = 21,400, Workshop on Large Eddy Simulation of Flows past Bluff Bodies, Rottach-Egern, Germany.Google Scholar
- Breuer, M., Pourquie, M. and Rodi, W., (1995) Description of the LES Method for the Workshop on Large Eddy Simulation of Flows past Bluff Bodies, Workshop (ibid.).Google Scholar
- Kawamura, H. and Kawashima, N., (1995) Vortex Shedding past a Square Cylinder, Workshop (ibid.).Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, T., Taniguchi, N. and Kogaki, T., (1995) Description of Numerical Methods, Boundary Conditions and SGS Models for Workshop on Large Eddy Simulation of Flow past Bluff Bodies Workshop (ibid.).Google Scholar
- Lyn, D. A., Einav, S., Rodi, W. and Park, J. H. (1994) A Laser-Doppler Velocimetry Study of Ensemble-Averaged Characteristics of the Turbulent near Wake of a Square Cylinder, Rept. SFB 210/E/100.Google Scholar
- Mochida, A., Murakami, S., Rodi, W. and Sakamoto, S., (1992) Comparison of LES with DSM, k — ɛ and Experiments for Turbulent Vortex Shedding Flow past 2D Square Cylinder, Proc. 6th Symp. on Computational Fluid Dynamics (in Japanese), pp 277–280.Google Scholar
- Tamura, T., Takakuwa, A. and Nozawa, K., (1995) Test case A: Vortex Shedding past a Square Cylinder, Workshop (ibid.).Google Scholar
- Wang, G. and Vanka S. P., (1995) Description of Large Eddy Simulation of Flow past a Square Cylinder, Workshop (ibid.).Google Scholar