Les of Flow Around a Square Cylinder
- 325 Downloads
Large-eddy simulations (LES) of turbulent flow around a square cylinder at Reynolds number of 2.2×104 are conducted. The subgrid-scale (SGS) models used here are the standard Smagorinsky model and a dynamic mixed SGS model. Simulation results indicate that the spanwise flow structure behind the cylinder is highly influenced by the spanwise mesh resolution and that the artificial dissipative effects of upwind schemes cannot be ignored even in the case of higher order upwind schemes.
KeywordsLarge Eddy Simulation Upwind Scheme Streamwise Vortex Order Upwind Scheme Order Central Difference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bardina, J., Ferziger, J. H. and Reynolds, W. C., Improved turbulence models based on large eddy simulation of homogeneous incompressible turbulent flows, Ph.D. dissertation, Dept Mech. Eng. (1983), Stanford UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Kogaki, T., Kobayashi, T. and Taniguchi, N., Large eddy simulation of flow around a rectangular cylinder, submitted to Special Issue on Mathematical Modeling of Turbulent Flows (ed. Daiguji et al., Elsevier).Google Scholar
- Lyn, D. A., Einav, S., Rodi, W. and Park, J. H. A laser-Doppler velocimetry study of ensemble-averaged characteristics of the turbulent near wake of a square cylinder, Rept. SFB 210/E/100 (1994).Google Scholar
- Mochida, A., Murakami, S., Rodi, W. and Sakamoto, S., Large eddy simulation of vortex shedding flow past 2D square cylinder, J. Wind Eng. 55 (1993, in Japanese), 79–80.Google Scholar
- Mochida, A., Murakami, S. and Tominaga, Y., Large eddy simulation of flow past 2D square cylinder using dynamic mixed SGS model, Seisan-Kenkyu (Mon. J. Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo) 47 (1995, in Japanese), 79–84Google Scholar
- Taniguchi, N., Dynamic SGS model by finite difference method, Seisan-Kenkyu (Mon. J. Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo) 47 (1995, in Japanese), 120–123Google Scholar