A Bayesian Approach for the Determination of the Charge Density from Elastic Electron Scattering Data
The problem of the determination of the charge density from limited information about the charge form factor is an ill-posed inverse problem. A Bayesian probabilistic approach to this problem which permits to take into account both errors and prior information about the solution is presented. We will show that many classical methods can be considered as special cases of the proposed approach. We address also the problem of the basis function choice for the discretization and the uncertainty of the solution. Some numerical results for an analytical model are presented to show the performance of the proposed method.
KeywordsCharge Density Maximum Entropy Bayesian Method Less Square Solution Parametric Reconstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.R. Anni, G. Co’, and P. Pellegrino, preprint (1994).Google Scholar
- 8.C. R. Rao and S. K. Mitra, Generalized Inverse of Matrices and its Applications (Wiley, New York, 1971).Google Scholar
- 11.N. Canosa, H. G. Miller, A. Piastino and R. Rossignoli, Physica A220, 611 (1995).Google Scholar
- 13.H.G. Miller, Y. Tzeng, G.D. Yen, N. Canosa, R. Rossignoli and A. Piastino, to be published.Google Scholar
- 14.Buck and Macaulay, “Linear inversion by the method of maximum entropy,” in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods 89, (J. Skilling, ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Skilling, “Classical maximum entropy” in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods 89, (J. Skilling, ed.), pp. 45–52, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1989.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Mohammad-Djafari, “A full Bayesian approach for inverse problems,” in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods 95, (K. Hanson and R. Silver, ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- 17.D.J.C. MacKay, “Hyperparameters: Optimize or integrate out?” in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods 93, (G. Heidbreder, ed.), pp. 43–59, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- 18.V.A. Macaulay and B. Buck, “A fresh look at model selection in inverse scattering,” in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods 94, (J. Skilling and S. Sibisi ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- 19.A. Mohammad-Djafari and J. Idier, “A scale invariant Bayesian method to solve linear inverse problems”, pp. 121–134. in Maximum Entropy and Bayesian Methods 94, (G. Heidbreder, ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar