Changes of the benthic algal flora of the Tremiti Islands (southern Adriatic) Italy
- 417 Downloads
During the last two decades, the benthic algal flora of the northern Adriatic Sea has changed as a result of increased pollution by sewage, agricultural drainage and industrial discharges. In order to verify if pollution has also influenced the benthic algal flora of the southern Adriatic, a study was undertaken of the Tremiti Islands and the results compared with previously published floristic data of the area. The results indicate changes in the benthic flora. Although the total number of species had increased slightly (301 species compared with 265 from the literature), the floristic composition was quite different, with 109 species not now found and 145 species new to the area. Since several sensitive species, like Cystoseira spp. and Sargassum spp., had disappeared and a greater number of opportunistic species was recorded, it can be concluded that the southern Adriatic is nowadays also influenced by pollution impact.
Key wordsalgal flora Adriatic Sea environmental changes the Tremiti Islands
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cormaci, M., A. Duro & G. Furnari, 1982. Considerazioni sugli elementi fitogeografici della flora algale della Sicilia. Naturalista sicil. 6 (suppl. 1): 7–14.Google Scholar
- Feldmann, J., 1937. Recherches sur la végétation marine de la Méditerranée. La côte des Albères. Rev. algol. 10: 1–340.Google Scholar
- Giaccone, G., 1978. Revisione della flora marina del mare Adriatico. Annuario del WWF. Parco Marino di Miramare, Trieste 6: 5–118.Google Scholar
- Giaccone, G. & A. Bruni, 1973. Le Cistoseire e la vegetazione sommersa del Mediterraneo. Atti Ist. Veneto Sci., Lett. ed Arti, Venezia. 131:59–103.Google Scholar
- Morovic, M. & N. Domijan, 1991. Light attenuation changes in the middle and southern Adriatic. Acta Adriatica 32: 621–635.Google Scholar
- Rizzi Longo, L., 1972. La flora sottomarina delle Isole Tremiti. Atti Ist. Veneto Sci., Lett. ed Arti, Venezia 130: 329–376.Google Scholar
- Ros, J. D., J. Romero, E. Ballesteros & J. M. Gili, 1985. Diving in blue water. The benthos. In Margalef R. (ed.), Key Environments: Western Mediterranean. Pergamon Press, Oxford: 233–295.Google Scholar
- Zore-Armanda, M., 1991. Natural characteristics and climatic changes of the Adriatic sea. Acta Adriatica 32: 567–586.Google Scholar
- Zore-Armanda, M., M. Bone, V. Dadic, M. Morovic, D. Ratkovic, L. Stojanoski & I. Vukadin, 1991. Hydrographic properties of the Adriatic Sea in the period from 1971 through 1983. Acta Adriatica 32: 5–547.Google Scholar