Biomass and agar assessment of three species of Gracilaria from Negros Island, central Philippines
- 423 Downloads
Biomass, cover and agar quality of three species of Gracilaria were monitored monthly in three sites in Negros Oriental, central Philippines, during the period July 1992–June 1993. The biomass per unit area of G. arcuata peaked around March while G. salicornia was maximal around November. Seasonality in G. blodgettii is not obvious from our data as this is a highly harvested species and we may have sampled after gleaners have harvested the algae.
Agar yield values were for G. arcuata from Bais, 2.9 ± 7% to 21.7 ± 0.7% while the same species from Siaton yielded 2.6 ± 0.6% to 18.3 ± 0.5%; G. salicornia yielded 2.9 ± 0.1% to 15.7 ± 1.3% and G. blodgettii, 0.1% to 20.7 ± 5.9%. Gel strength and viscosity were variable. Gel strength values were: G. arcuata (Bais), 17–260 g cm−2; G. arcuata (Siaton), 58–270 g cm−2; G. salicornia, 29.5–147 g cm−2; G. blodgettii, 29.6–235 g cm−2, and related to the 3,6-anhydrogalactose and sulphate content of the algae.
Key wordsagar biomass Gracilaria Philippines seasonality yield
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Craigie, J. S. & C. Leigh, 1978. Carrageenans and agars. In Hel-lebust, J.A. & J.S. Craigie (eds), Handbook of Phycological Methods, Physiological and Biochemical Methods. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge: 109–131.Google Scholar
- Golterman, H. L., R. S. Clymo & M. A. M. Ohnstad, 1978. Methods for Physical and Chemical Analysis of Fresh Waters. IBP Handbook No. 8. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, Edinburgh, London, Melbourne, 82 pp.Google Scholar
- Grasshoff, K., 1983. Determination of nitrate. In Grasshoff, K., M. Ehrhardt & K. Kremling (eds), Methods of Seawater Analysis, Second, Revised and Extended Edition, Verlag Chemie GmbH, D-6940, Weinheim: 143–150.Google Scholar
- Koroleff, F., 1983. 9.1. Determination of phosphorus. In Grasshoff, K., M. Ehrhardt & K. Kremling (eds), Methods of Seawater Analysis, Second, Revised and Extended Edition, Verlag Chemie GmbH, D-6940, Weinheim: 125–138.Google Scholar
- Trono, Jr. G. C. & R. Azanza-Corrales, 1981. The seasonal variation in the biomass and reproductive states of Gracilaria in Manila Bay. Proc. int. Seaweed Symp. 10: 743–748.Google Scholar
- Whyte, J. N. C. & J. R. Englar, 1980. Chemical composition and quality of agar in the morphotypes of Gracilaria from British Columbia. Bot. mar. 23: 277–283.Google Scholar