EEG Signal Classification Using Neural Networks
The application of Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) to electroencephalographic (EEG) signal classification is presented. Initially, the power spectrum and coherence “reactivity” parameters are extracted from the EEG signals in order to provide the inputs to the ANNs. In addition, traditional statistical and classification methods are utilized to improve the accuracy of the ANN classifiers. Various ANN experiments are performed and their results are discussed.
KeywordsPower Spectrum Artificial Neural Network Classifier Parallel Distribute Process Total Power Spectrum ANNs Ability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. Freeman Analytic Techniques Used in the Search for the Physiological Basis of the EEG, Methods of Analysis of Brain Electrical and Magnetic Signals. EEG Handbook (revised series Vol. 1), A.S. Gevins and A. Remond (Eds), 1987.Google Scholar
- G. Dumermuth and L. Molinari Spectral Analysis of the EEG, Neuropsychobiology, Vol. 17, 1987.Google Scholar
- M. Nuwer Quantitative EEG I + II, Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, Vol. 5, 1988.Google Scholar
- S. Metric and R. Brenner, Abnormal brainstem auditory evoked potentials in chronic paint sniffers, Annals of Neurology, Vol. 16, 1982.Google Scholar
- A. Seppaiainen, Neurophysiological findings among workers exposed to organic solvents, Scandinavian Journal of Work and Environmental Health, Vol. 7, 1981.Google Scholar
- A. Seppaiainen, Neurophysiological aspects of the toxisity of organic solvents, Scandinavian Journal of Work and Environmental Health, Vol. 11, 1985.Google Scholar
- S. Micheloyannis, N. Paritsis and P. Trikas, EEG Coherence during hemispheric activation in schizophrenics, European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, in press.Google Scholar
- W. Mendenhall Introduction to Probability and Statistics, Duxbury Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- G. Bebis, G. Papadourakis and M. Georgiopoulos Back Propagation: Increasing Rate of Convergence by Predictable Pattern Loading, Intelligent Systems Review, vol. 1, No 3, 1989.Google Scholar
- G. Dumetmuth and L. Molinari, Spectral analysis of EEG Background activity, EEG Handbook: Methods of Analysis of Brain Electrical and Magnetic Signals, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1987.Google Scholar
- D. Touretzky and D. Pomerleau What’s Hidden in the Hidden Layers ?, Byte Magazine, August 1989.Google Scholar
- D. E. Rumelhart, J. L. McClelland, and the PDP Research Group. “Parallel Distributed Processing (PDP), Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition, Volume 1: Foundations. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1986.Google Scholar