The distribution and abundance of young fish in the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania
- 50 Downloads
The importance of the Banc d’Arguin (Mauritania) for juvenile fish has been investigated in September 1988. Fish have been sampled with a 2 m beam trawl at 50 locations in the coastal zone between Cap Sainte Anne and Cap Timiris. Water depth varied between 1 and 16 metres. Temperature and salinity at each station have been measured, as well as the weight of the catch and total length of the individual fish. The largest catches — in numbers as well as in weight — were obtained around the shallows of Tidra and Arel. This region has a large diversity in species, and contains large numbers of juvenile fish and cephalopods. The deeper areas seem to be much poorer in species, but average length and weight of the sampled fish are higher than around Tidra and Arel.
Key wordsBanc d’Arguin fish Mauritania nursery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Campredon, P. & B. Schrieken, 1989. Fishes and shrimps of the tidal flats. In: B. J. Ens, T. Piersma, W. J. Wolff & L. Zwarts (eds), Report of the Dutch-Mauritanian project Banc d’ Arguin 1985-1986. RIN Rapport 89/6, Texel: 222–227.Google Scholar
- Maigret, J. & B. Ly, 1986. Les poissons de mer de Mauritanie. Sciences Nat., Compiègne.Google Scholar
- Nienhuis, P. H., F. van Lent & J. M. Verschuure, 1990. Distribution of seagrasses in Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, N.W. Africa. Delta Institute for Hydrobiologic al Research Progress Report 1989. K.N.A.W. Amsterdam, 1990.Google Scholar
- Peters, H., 1976. The spreading of the water masses of the Banc d’Arguin in the up welling area off the northern Mauritanian coast. ‘Meteor’ Forschungsergebnisse, Reihe A, 18: 78–100.Google Scholar
- Sevrin-Reyssac, J., 1983a. Quelques particularités de la chaine alimentaire marine dans la région des îles du Banc d’Arguin (Parc National du Banc d’Arguin, Mauritanie). Bull. Centre Nat. Rech. Océanogr. Pêches 11: 41–52.Google Scholar
- Sevrin-Reyssac, J. 1983b. Affinité biogéographique de la région des îles du Banc d’Arguin (Parc National du Banc d’Arguin, Mauritanie). Bull. Centre Nat. Rech. Océanogr. Pêches 11: 53–56.Google Scholar
- Troadec, J.-P. & S. Garcia, 1980. The fish resources of the Eastern Central Atlantic. Part one: the resources of the Gulf of Guinea from Angola to Mauritania. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 186.1. Rome, 1980.Google Scholar
- Wolff, W. J. & C. J. Smit, 1990. The Banc d’ Arguin, Mauritania, as an environment for coastal birds. Ardea 78: 17–38.Google Scholar