The Starburst in the Wolf-Rayet Nucleus of the Liner NGC 6764
We present high resolution millimeter, near-infrared, and optical data on the Wolf-Rayet nucleus of the Liner NGC 6764. The millimeter 12CO(1–0) maps were obtained using the Nobeyama Millimeter Interferometer. Near-infrared images in the K-band continuum and the 2.12 μm H2, 2.06 μm He I, 2.17 μm Brγ, and 1.64 μm [Fe II] lines were taken with the MPE imaging spectrometer FAST at the William Herschel Telescope on La Palma, Spain. The optical data were obtained at the 3.5m telescope on Calar Alto, Spain. The measurements indicate a strong concentration of molecular gas and a massive starburst at the nucleus of NGC 6764. The interferometric position velocity map of the nucleus shows the presence of distinct molecular cloud complexes with an apparently asymmetric velocity field shifted towards the blue with respect to the systemic velocity of 2420 km s-1. The distribution of the 2.12 μm H2 line flux exhibits extensions approximately perpendicular to the bar which are in agreement with structural features in VLA radio maps and IRAM 30m maps of the 12CO(2–1) line emission. This may represent evidence for combination of a nuclear outflow and a central oval distortion of gas predicted by gas dynamical calculations as a response to a bar like potential. A detailed investigation of the Wolf-Rayet-feature at 466 nm indicates that it is spatially extended on a scale of a few arcseconds.
KeywordsLine Emission Position Angle Line Flux Systemic Velocity Single Dish
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eckart, A., Cameron, M., Jackson, J.M. et al.: 1991, Astroph. J. 372, 67.Google Scholar
- Forbes, D.A., Ward, A., Rotaciuc, V. et al.: 1992, Astroph. J. (Letters), submitted.Google Scholar
- Genzel, R., Cameron, M., Krabbe, A.,: 1992, this edition.Google Scholar
- Ishiguro, M., et al,: 1984, in J. Gomez-Gonzales (ed) proc. Int. Symp. Millimeter and Submilli Wave Radio Astronomy, URSI, Granada, p.75.Google Scholar
- K rabbe, A., Genzel, R., Drapatz et al.: 1991Astroph. J. (Letters) 382, L19.Google Scholar
- Krabbe, A., et al.: 1992, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Rotaciuc, V., Krabbe, A., Cameron, M. et al.: 1991, Astroph. J. (Letters) 370, L23.Google Scholar
- Van der Werf, P.P., Genzel, R., Krabbe, A. et al.; 1992, Astroph. J., submitted.Google Scholar
- Young, J.S. and Sanders, D.B.,: 1986 Astroph. J. 302, 680. Google Scholar