Simulation of Self-Assembled Monolayers: Microscopic Structure of Amino Alkylthiols
We present the results of molecular dynamics calculations carried out on self-assembled monolayers (SAMs) formed from alkyl thiols chemisorbed on a gold (111) substrate. The alkyl tails are functionalized by polar groups (-NH2) with the potential of forming hydrogen bonds. Particular attention is focused on the prediction of the structural characteristics of the funtionalized outer surface of the SAM in an attempt to make contact with scanning tunneling microscopy images. We examine the dependence of the predicted structure on the model used to represent the alkyl chains.
KeywordsAlkyl Chain Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Image Molecular Dynamic Calculation Scanning Force Microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Ulman, An Introduction to Ultrathin Organic Films, Academic Press Inc., New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- W. Mizutani, D. Anselmetti, and B. Michel, in Computations for the Nanoscale, pp 49–62, P.E. Blöchl et al. (eds.), Kluwer, 1993.Google Scholar
- J. Hautman and M.L. Klein, J. Chem. Phys. 91, 4994 (1989); ibid, 93, 7483 (1990); Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 2345 (1991).Google Scholar
- J.I. Siepmann and I.R. McDonald, Molec. Phys., 75, 255 (1992); ibid, 79, 457Google Scholar
- 1993); Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 453 (1993); see also: Computations for the Nanoscale, pp 49–62, P.E. Blöchl et al. (eds.), Kluwer, 1993.Google Scholar
- P.E. Laibinis, G.M. Whitesides, D.L. Allara, Y.-T. Tao, A.N. Parikh, and R.G. Nuzzo, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 113, 7152 (1991); N.L. Abbot, J.P. Folkers and G.M. Whitesides, Science, 257, 1380 (1992).Google Scholar
- C. Schoenenberger, J. A. M. Sondag-Huethoist, J. Joritsma, and L. G. J. Fokkink (preprint submitted to Langmuir).Google Scholar
- D. Anselmetti, Ph.D. thesis ETH Zurich.Google Scholar
- H. Wolf, Diploma thesis, University of Mainz, Mainz (1991).Google Scholar
- W. Jorgensen, J. Phys. Chem. 90, 1277 (1986).Google Scholar