Ricci as Bishop of Pistoia and Prato
At the foothills of the Apennines north of Florence in the fertile valley of the Ombrone, a tributary of the Arno, lies the city of Pistoia, seat of an ancient diocese. In the eighteenth century this diocese was known as Pistoia and Prato from the fact that the city of Prato had from 1625 to 1653 been the see of a separate diocese. This attempt at dismembering the diocese of Pistoia had resulted in the establishment of two cathedrals for one diocese. When Ricci became Bishop he offered to resign half his territory in order to form two separate dioceses, but nothing came of the idea.1
KeywordsEighteenth Century Religious Order Good Book Sacred Heart Civil Authority
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.