Critical Problems in Establishing the Morphology of Substorms in Space
For the past 6 yr many investigators have been attempting to establish the morphology of substorms in space. In our experimental work at UCLA we have been mainly concerned with the sequence of changes which occurs in the Earth’s magnetic field. By using a combination of ground and satellite observations of the field, we have attempted to piece together a phenomenological model of the magnetospheric substorm. This model has been described at numerous meetings and also has been presented in detail in several recent publications (Russell and McPherron, 1973; McPherron et al., 1973a; McPherron, 1972). To remind you of the observations, we will briefly review this model in the following section.
KeywordsSolar Wind Phenomenological Model Plasma Sheet Expansion Phase Auroral Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akasofu, S.-I.: 1972, Scientific Design of a Shuttle Auroral Observatory System, Vol. III, Report, Geophysical Inst., University of Alaska, Fairbanks.Google Scholar
- Burton, R. K., McPherron, R. L., and Russell, C. T.: 1973, Proceedings of the Chapman Memorial Symposium on Magnetospheric Motions, p. 139.Google Scholar
- Caan, M. N., McPherron, R. L., Russell, C. T., and Cline, N. E.: 1973b, Proceedings of the Chapman Memorial Symposium on Magnetospheric Motions, p. 103.Google Scholar
- Clauer, C. R. and McPherron, R. L.: 1973a, J. Geophys. Res., submitted.Google Scholar
- Clauer, C. R. and McPherron, R. L.: 1973b, J. Geophys. Res., submitted.Google Scholar
- Horning, B. L., McPherron, R. L., and Jackson, D. D.:1973, J. Geophys. Res. submitted.Google Scholar
- Kennel, C. F.: 1974, private communication.Google Scholar
- Kennel, C. F., Coroniti, F. V., McPherron, R. L.,and Russell, C. T.: 1973, On the Initiation of Tail Reconnection During Magnetospheric Substorms, in prep aration.Google Scholar
- McPherron, R. L., Russell, C. T., Kivelson, M. G., and Coleman, P. J., Jr.: 1973b, Radio Sci, in press.Google Scholar
- Subbarao, S., McPherron, R. L., and Cline, N.: 1973, Proceedings of the Chapman Memorial Symposium on Magnetospheric Motions, p. 201.Google Scholar