Plasma Instability Modes Related to the Earth’s Bow Shock
The present paper is an attempt to give a very brief outline of the status of physical interpretations of some of the microscopic plasma physical phenomena occurring in bow shock structures. We shall not give any extensive discussion of collisionless shock models and theories in the short space available here, since there exist excellent detailed sources for such information. For general collisionless shock theories, we refer the reader to the recent monograph by Tidman and Krall (1971), who in addition to their own contributions, give bibliographies containing all of the important source material up to perhaps 1970. The main advances in collisionless shock theory since that time have come primarily from computer simulation work.
KeywordsShock Structure Shock Velocity Electrostatic Wave Collisionless Shock Drift Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dobrowolny, M. and Formisano, V.: 1973, CNR Preprint LPS-73–11, Rome.Google Scholar
- Fredricks, R. W. and Coleman, P. J. Jr.: 1969, in D. G. Wentzel and D. A. Tidman (eds.), Plasma Instabilities in Astrophysics, Gordon and Breach, New York.Google Scholar
- Greenstadt, E. W., Green, I. M., Inouye, G. T., Colburn, D. S., Binsack, J. H., and Lyon, E. F.: 1970a, Cosmic Electrodyn. 1, 160.Google Scholar
- Greenstadt, E. W., Green, I. M., Inouye, G. T., Colburn, D. S., Binsack, J. H., and Lyon, E. F.: 1970b, Cosmic Electrodyn. 1, 316.Google Scholar
- Greenstadt, E. W., Russell, C. T., Formisano, V., and Hedgecock, P. C.: 1973, J. Geophys. Res.,to be submitted.Google Scholar
- Lampe, M., McBride, J. B., Orens, J. H., and Sudan, R. N.: 1971a, Phys. Rev. Letters 35, 131.Google Scholar
- Lampe, M., Manheimer, W. M., McBride, J. B., Orens, J. H., Papadopoulos, K., Shanny, R., and Sudan, R. N.: 1971b, Memo Rept. 2358, Naval Research Lab., Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez, P., and Gurnett, D. A.: 1973, Trans Amer. Geophys. Union (EOS) Abstract 54, 433.Google Scholar
- Tidman, D. A. and Krall, N. A.: 1971, Shock Waves in Collisionless Plasmas, Wiley.Interscience, New York.Google Scholar