Nucleosynthesis Induced during Nova Outburst
As it has been shown in the previous communication (Sparks et al, this conference), the nova outburst is triggered by explosive CNO burning occuring in the outer regions of the prenova at temperatures T > 108 K and densities p ∿ 103-105g cm -3. At such temperatures, nuclear reactions are faster than beta decays. The general properties of this “ hot ” CNO cycle are recalled in section II. In section III some specific calculations of nucleosynthesis based on nova models are presented and discussed. In some extreme nova models, temperatures as large as T ∿ 2 109 K and densities p ti 105 g cm-3 might be reached. Section IV shortly reviews the possibility of neutron production suggested by Clayton and Hoyle(1974)to induce s and r element nucleosynthesis and the possible occurence of p process explosive nucleosynthesis. Finally in section V the possible role of novae in the chemical evolution of the Galaxy is discussed after the recent determinations of the H12C15N/H13C14N ratio in various interstellar clouds.
KeywordsBurning Helium Explosive Rene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Audouze, J., 1973, in Explosive Nucleosynthesis, Schramm and Arnett ed. ( Austin: U. of Texas Press).Google Scholar
- Audouze, J., Lequeux, J., Rocca-Volmerange, B. and Vigroux, L., 1977 in CNO Isotopes in Astrophysics (J. Audouze ed., Reidel Publishing Co.).Google Scholar
- Chiéze, J.P., Audouze, J. and Toussaint, J., 1977, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Fowler, W.A., Caughlan, C.R. and Zimmerman, B.A., 1975, Ann. Rev. Astron. Ap., 13, 69.Google Scholar
- Lazareff, B., Audouze, J., Starrfield, S. and Truran, J.W., 1977, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Linke, R.A., Goldsmith, P.F., Wannier, P.G., Wilson, R.W. and Penzias, A.A., 1976, Ap.J., (submitted to publication).Google Scholar
- Nogaard, H., 1977, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Sparks, W.M., Starrfield, S. and Truran, J.W., this conference.Google Scholar
- Starrfield, S., Truran, J.W. and Sparks, W.M., 1975, Ap.J., 198, L 113.Google Scholar
- Toussaint, J., 1975, Thèse de 3e Cycle, Université Paris XI, unpublished.Google Scholar
- Truran, J.W., Arnould, M. and Starrfield, S., 1977, in preparation.Google Scholar