Mathematical Modelling of Lunar Laser Measures and their Application to Improvement of Physical Parameters
It is important to understand that a lunar range measure is not a distance but a time delay, or aberration. This fact introduces certain complications into the computational procedures required to treat the data that may not be obvious to the non-specialist. This paper is a conceptual description of the step-by-step process required for the computation of lunar range predictions, showing both the nature of all of the mathematical aspects of the physical model, and also their means of application. The necessary departures from classical astronomical practice, such as the computation of lunar predictions in a heliocentric reference frame, are explained in terms of their importance to the accuracy of the final results. Comparable problems exist with respect to the application of the observational residuals to the improvement of parameter values in the physical model, and this process is described also.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Calame, O.: 1974, Groupe de Recherches de Geodesie Spatiale Research Note, (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Calame, O.: 1976b, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- HMNAO: 1961, Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Ephemeris, H. M. Stationary Office, London.Google Scholar
- Holdridge, D. B. : 1967, Jet Propulsion Laboratory SPS, 37–48, III, 2.Google Scholar
- Hopfield, H.: 1972, Space Research 12, Akademie-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Kuo, J. T.: 1976, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Lammlein, D.: 1974, Seminar publication, Austin, Texas (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Latham, G. V. and Dorman, J.: 1976, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Melbourne, W. G., Mulholland, J. D., Sjogren, W. L. and Sturms, F. M.: 1969, Jet Propulsion Laboratory TR 32-1306, 25.Google Scholar
- Stolz, A., Bender, P. L., Faller, J. E., Silverberg, E. C., Mulholland, J. D., Shelus, P. J., Williams, J. G., Carter, W. E., Currie, D. G. and Kaula, W. M.: 1976, “Earth Rotation Measured by Lunar Laser Ranging” Science, in press.Google Scholar
- Williams, J. G., Dicke, R. H., Bender, P. L., Alley, C. O., Carter, W. E., Currie, D. G., Eckhardt, D. E., Faller, J. E., Kaula, W. M., Mulholland, J. D., Plotkin, H. H., Poultney, S. K., Shelus, P. J., Silverberg, E. C., Sinclair, W. S., Slade, M. A. and Wilkinson, D. T.: 1976, Phys. Rev. Letters 36, 551.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar